Similar post

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

HI Guys,

sorry to posta very similar post to my last, but i am a little confused.

I am shooting a Bodybuilding contest on Sunday and know from other videos of these contests that i have seen that there is a huge problem with getting the exposure right.

This is due to the Subject having very bright lights shon directly onto them, while the background is noramlly a Black Curtain. As you have to leave a bit of room to capture the sudden unexpeted movement of the subject, the majority of the frame is Dark, so the Cams exposure is set for this.

Now i know that i can use the Exposure compensation and drop it by a couple of stops, but this will still allow the cams meter to change when the shot changes. If i am in tight on one contestant then i am sure this will be fine, but when i go wide to get the full lin-up (which can be up to 10 people) the exposure will be wrong.

So what do i do about this? Even if i set the exposure manually, it will have to change for every width of shot, and i am not skilled enough to do this nor have enough time between shots.

Can someone advise me on the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Inactive

Ey up mate,

I must have not made myself clear.

I am talking about using the exposure compensation setting on the cam while having it set to auto.

The reason i am doing this and not using Auto is that the Subject will move around a lot, moving from directly in the lights to completely out of them, so i wont be quick enough to reset the exposure to compensate for this.

If it was just a static shot this would be no problem, but its not. As well as the Subject moving in and out of lighting, i will have to go from a tight shot to super wide when all competitors come onto stage. Again I wont have to time to mess with the settings.

I understand that if i was used to the settings i could probably alter them on the fly, but i dont have time to get used to the setting to this degree as the shoot is this Sunday.

Cheers,

Jay

Inactive

Ha ha,

i love the glue idea. We will set marks on the floor where they are meant to stand, but they love to move around the stage and take no notice of marks.

As for the second cam, Simply, i dont have one.

So looks like im on Auto then with a little AE alteration.

Cheers,

Jay

Inactive

Ey up mate,

thats is so freaky, i have actually been reading the manual today to see how to manually set the white balance and i noticed that i could store different setups to different custom buttons.

I am not toally sure how to get the Exposure settings stored as it just mentioned the picture (colour, brightness, sharpness ect) but i intend to have a look into it.

cheers,

Jay

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap