Shutter speed/Frame Rate – Slowed down video effect – camcorder shutter speeds

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Shutter speed/Frame Rate – Slowed down video effect – camcorder shutter speeds

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Inactive

Shutter Speed/Frame Rate.

First off, i’m coming from a background as a professional ‘motion graphics’ animator/editor using primarily Adobe After Effects. when i make a project or ‘comp’ i choose a frame rate (for example 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, etc…). i am new to shooting my own video footage (though i have a background in photography) and then editing it.

THE GOAL: i want to produce slowed, or extra slowed down footage. such as when some one is jumping across the screen and it takes 6 seconds just for them to get across.
      i would assume to do this with any good quality you would shoot the footage at a double, triple, or whatever frame rate, then drop it into a timeline that is running at less than that speed.

THE QUESTION SPECIFICALLY:
      i’m looking to get a Canon Vixia HF G10. on one end i hear it has films at 24P, PF24, PF30, and 60i. but then in the manual it lists many shutter speeds (1/8 at the lowest and 1/2000 at the highest).

Q: Am i able to shoot video that is a higher frame rate than 60i?
      am i not understanding how to get this effect?
      (my questions may sound stupid but please be patient as it’s sort of counter intuitive.)

Jamie asks:

Q: Am i able to shoot video that is a higher frame rate than 60i?
      am i not understanding how to get this effect?

Simple answer is: no. Don’t confuse frame rate with shutter speeds. Shutter speed in videolandis analoguous to shutter speed in still photography; ie, the amount of time the shutter remains ” open ” for each frame ” exposed “.

Rick Crampton

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap