Shutter speed/Frame Rate – Slowed down video effect – camcorder shutter speeds

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Shutter speed/Frame Rate – Slowed down video effect – camcorder shutter speeds

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Inactive

Shutter Speed/Frame Rate.

First off, i’m coming from a background as a professional ‘motion graphics’ animator/editor using primarily Adobe After Effects. when i make a project or ‘comp’ i choose a frame rate (for example 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, etc…). i am new to shooting my own video footage (though i have a background in photography) and then editing it.

THE GOAL: i want to produce slowed, or extra slowed down footage. such as when some one is jumping across the screen and it takes 6 seconds just for them to get across.
      i would assume to do this with any good quality you would shoot the footage at a double, triple, or whatever frame rate, then drop it into a timeline that is running at less than that speed.

THE QUESTION SPECIFICALLY:
      i’m looking to get a Canon Vixia HF G10. on one end i hear it has films at 24P, PF24, PF30, and 60i. but then in the manual it lists many shutter speeds (1/8 at the lowest and 1/2000 at the highest).

Q: Am i able to shoot video that is a higher frame rate than 60i?
      am i not understanding how to get this effect?
      (my questions may sound stupid but please be patient as it’s sort of counter intuitive.)

Jamie asks:

Q: Am i able to shoot video that is a higher frame rate than 60i?
      am i not understanding how to get this effect?

Simple answer is: no. Don’t confuse frame rate with shutter speeds. Shutter speed in videolandis analoguous to shutter speed in still photography; ie, the amount of time the shutter remains ” open ” for each frame ” exposed “.

Rick Crampton

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap