Shutter Speed Problem

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello I was hoping somebody out there could help me with this problem.

I’m making a video in which I want things to be moving in very slow motion. I set my camera (Panasonc TM700) to a shutter speed of 1/1000 to achieve this effect, and it seemed to be working as the image got very dark. Unfortunately when I try to import the files into After Effects they come out at ~30 fps. When I try to interpret the footage to anything lower than this it gets really jittery as though it really were recorded at a shutter speed of1/30. I don’t know if this is an issue with After Effects or my camera, but any help you can offer is appreciated.

Participant

Shutter speed on a digital camera is mainly to effect exposure and motion blur. The frames per second has to do with the format you are using for capture (the two are not connected).

It’s my understanding that if you want to have a smooth slow-motion effect, you have to capture at about 60 fps (like 1080p/60) and then slow it down in post to about 30 fps.

Participant

<html />

Participant

To expand D-Sand’s explanation a little further, shutter speed is how fast the shutter opens and closes to “expose” a frame to the scene. The faster the shutter, the less motion blur and the less light allowed to the frame so it appears darker.

Participant

Yep, I think the issue you have is that you are confusing Frames Per Second and Shutter speed…there really is no connection. You are correct in thinking that making your shutter speed faster you will get a clearer image, but if your camera is still recording at 30 progressive frames per second you will still get blurry footage when you try to slow it down. You will need a higher progressive fps to get what you are striving for.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap