showcase

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

@everyone, here is another video I did. PLEASE keep in mind this was before I knew about the rule of thirds, and lighting, getting a stabilizer, and other things I’ve learned in a short span of time.

Please enjoy, and if you would like please provide constructive criticism on this piece.

http://www.houstonsvoice.com/?media=cGT3x7eVC7jhRYvasuQ92GscDq1toqVH

Participant

Luke –

There is a lot of audio noise in several segments (like where Frances Castenada is speaking). Take a look at Audacity (free) – Their Noise Reduction filter would be very helpful here. Along the same lines, NewBlueFX’s Audio Scrubbers collection ($60) is also very useful and relatively cheap.

Pan/Zoom – I know you said it was before may lessons learned, but it bears repeating – For most of your video clips, set the frame and leave it be. Panning & zooming can be done (better yet would be truck & dolly shots) but need to be used judiciously and need to be smooth and add to the story (NOT talking about Ken Burns effect here, but pans/zooms on video).

Titles/text were better but you should think about them more and experiment (I have some examples of titles I did to show one client here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0M2Cazp4ck, however, I have done much better since doing that vid and still continue to experiment – Newest toy is NewBlueFX’s Pro Titler). End title was good but would be better (IMHO) scrolled. The text @3:00 – 3:30 was word for word what was being said in audio – Much better would to have bullet points appear on the screen to go along with the narrative.

There were other issues but these were the biggies to me – I’d like to see some of your recent work where you use what you have learned.

Participant

@birdcat, what titling software did you use? I’m now using Premiere Pro CS 4. What software from Adobe does them?

To quote Birdcat:

” Luke –

There is a lot of audio noise in several segments (like where Frances Castenada is speaking). Take a look at Audacity (free) – Their Noise Reduction filter would be very helpful here. Along the same lines, NewBlueFX’s Audio Scrubbers collection ($60) is also very useful and relatively cheap. “

Better yet . . . turn off the air conditioner before you shoot! Get into the habit of sticking a finger in one ear before you roll and listen to the ambientBG in the room. This will give you a very good idea of the REAL ambience.

” Pan/Zoom – I know you said it was before may lessons learned, but it bears repeating – For most of your video clips, set the frame and leave it be. Panning & zooming can be done (better yet would be truck & dolly shots) but need to be used judiciously and need to be smooth . . . . “

Your pans and zooms would be less objectionable if they weren’t so jerkey. First, shoot from a good tripod . . . and then . . . did you shoot in an interlaced format and convert to 24P?? Or did you shoot in 24P, and if so, why? You’d probaby benefit from higher frame rate and interlaced when the camera or backgroundor framingmoves.

Rick Crampton

Participant

@Luke – PPro has some basic titling built in – Maybe some other fonts might help – Check out http://www.fonts101.com/

For my better looking titles, I use Digital Juice Fonts, Bluff Titler, Corel Draw and NewBlueFX Titler Pro.

There are also very good titling packages from Zaxwerks (Pro-Animator), Boris (Graffiti) and many others.

EDIT: Almost forgot this one: http://www.showstoppersfx.com/atckit/atckit.htm

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Camera Support Buyer's Guide

The best advanced camera support for video — 2021

While the camera will always be at the core of your production setup, using the best camera support is vital in getting smooth cinematic shots.
homicide-bootstrap