Should I get Windows 8?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

In case some may not know I hold several IT degrees and have done testing for Microsoft. I have been keeping up with the launch of Windows 8. Now some here may still run XP or Vista, I do encourage you to jump to Windows 7. But the release of Windows 8 will be the exact same OS as Windows 7 for the desktop and laptop. It will have a few and I mean few eye candy changes to make the user feel like he got an upgrade. But W8 is more or less in 2 flavors x86 (Windows 7) and the version for phones and tablets. That will be a tiled based OS, but to help increase profits MS is calling all versions a major upgrade and Windows 8.

When the eye candy is removed the file structure and everything else is Windows 7. So as a producer if you are wondering about W8 and if it will be best to go, well the choice is yours but W8 will still be W7 in x86 format but with a new and improved name

Participant

I actually downloaded (noto installed) the current version today. After I complete my next project I will try it out – just because I am that kind of person who likes to peek. Although it does state the pre-beta version is NOT for any production based computer… hmmmm Just covering their butts I suppose in case something goes horribly wrong.

Participant

Yes that is standard from MS when testing a beta. I was a part of the W7 project from Alpha, and I was on the phone nearly daily with MS. MS did not in any way want to support backwards products. They were all about forward. The lawsuit out of Canada helped with that issue just prior to the release, and caused the early release of W7 SP1. MS stated from the getgo with W8 that ALL current products tat run on W7 will run on W8. Then came the release yesterday that W8 is W7 with just a few eye changes, The 4 color flag on the start menu will become what MS started with in Windows 1.1 the light blue Window. Also if you have a touch screen you have the option of using a tile interface instead of what you see in W7. These can be added downloads to W7 after developers finish them without buying W8.

Participant

I completely believe what you said. Funny thing is I found this statement yesterday

“We have said that Windows 8 is a complete reimagination of the Windows
      operating system. Nothing has been left unexplored, including the
      Windows logo, to evaluate how it held up to modern PC sensibilities”

I have seen the logo thing and I hear people arguing over that LOGO. Yeah… the important things in life…

Participant

To requote your quote “We have said that Windows 8 is a complete reimagination of the Windows
      operating system. Nothing has been left unexplored,”

Notice a two key words “reimagination, unexplored” The complete reimagination is in of itself an explanation. MS wanted to return to the roots of the OS. After Bill left MS they changed direction. In the beginning Widows use the Window logo the basic number scheme, Windows 1, 1.1, 2, 3, 3.11 Not until Windows 95 did they start using a naming scheme, Windows 95 for the year of release. The press and tech world raked Bill over the coals. And he took it personal. When Vista was beta testing Bill made reference to the fact the he knew what worked in Windows better then the average user, me and you. he knew what WE wanted. he proved by Vista that he did not know anything about the US of the world anymore.

The Canadian lawsuit almost ended Microsoft, came so close that they had to rush W7 to the market, and therein is why they can’t change the base code; that lawsuit.

MS knew when they lost they were stuck with the current look, feel, and workings of Office and Windows. They messed up bad with that suit. So now MS has nothing new to offer people anymore, and with W7 they released the new file structure that works with Flash Drives and drives above 2TB. Almost all the changes with new releases of Windows was more about file structure than anything.

FAT (File Allocation Table)
      FAT 32 (As above but for 32 bit processors)
      NTFS (New Technology Filing System)

and now exFAT. Which they did release a patch for XP but XP can’t support 2TB or larger driver, PROPERLY.

Moore’s Law was to one day come to an end and it now has. Processor technology has reached the limit of silicon, that is the reason they went to multi-cores. File structure has reached its limit, they may improve it, but with the transfer to flash there is not much room. 3D core stacking technology is being explored as is a few other types, there is a HUGE promising technology that should hit the market by years end 2013, if it works Moore’s law becomes law again, NO Limit is expected, it will be called Tesla Technology.

But unless that takes over, and we are talking 10+ years before me and you can enter that market, MS has nothing new to alter about the base code. But they HAVE to sell something, they have outlived their usefulness, so more toys.

I will miss MS when they go away, In the 70’s and 80’s the world thought that Steve Jobs and Apple made the mistake about holding onto their code for certain hardware, and that Bill Gates was the smarter one. I guess Steve’s look into the future was more long term, Apple is for the first time the #1 computer maker in the world. (I got to buy one or two.)

Participant

Guess I never remember hearing anything about a Canadian lawsuit.

Participant

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/185347/microsoft_loses_lawsuit_but_word_likely_to_stay.html

The implications of the suit went beyond Office, they had used the code in Vista, forcing its early demise. The company did not sale of allow MS to use the code, as you can see it cost MS $290 MILLION. That is a lot of money, and it canceled out the entire 2007 sales. In fact the suit hurt so bad MS discontinued some of its product lines and focused on Redoing Office 2010 and then revamping W7. Since the source code kernel of 7 is a non MS developed code, they are stuck for the time.

BTW that $290 million appears to have been a lower judgement, if I recall it started out in the billions.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap