Should I charge for my video

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I was contacted by a Large corperation who want to use my video or parts of it for an upcomming event. This video is my first ever made and I think it is pretty good but what do I know. Anyway they have asked for a High Res copy and for me to sign a copyright release. I don’rt hava a clue what to do. Sign it, send the video and not sign it, ask for money? Any help would be appreciated. Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAzRP6k_nPo

Participant

Maybe they want your pans of the soybean fields. Interesting. That’s pretty cool that a big one wants your stuff!! Good job!

Are you getting paid if you don’t ask for anything? are they trying to get it for free? If you have to sign a copyright release, i’d try and get some money out of it. That’s up to you.

I’ve never sold my stuff to big companies either so I wouldn’t know, but if you haven’t already heard of this place, I’d research it to see what it’s all about. you don’t want your movie being used illegaly. i’d give the release to some lawyer you know to read quickly through and make sure you’re in the clear.

Good job and good luck!

Inactive

First, I liked this video. Good camera work and editing, with establishing shots and smooth transitions. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the music bed. Very appropriate for the video but its obviously a copyrighted work (I can’t remember the group’s name but they’re still popular), so unless you licensed the music you could (theoretically) get into trouble releasing your copyright of the video (yeah yeah, Fair Use and all that, but I think these circumstances warrant some caution).

If it were me, I’d re-do the music bed with public domain music and ask for a minimal feefor providing the hi-res file and signing a release…say, $50. If Engulf-N-Devower corporation squawks at 50 bucks they’re not worth your time. IMHO.

Participant

Yes. Maybe these guys are trying to get this music from you, then if they get caught, they’ll turn you in instead. Like I said before, i would read this copyright they give you carefully. You don’t want to end up in jail or anything.

Or maybe you could make a documentary about going to jail. πŸ˜€

Inactive

First, Mantic59 is correct about the music copyright. If you don’t have a license or permission, you shouldn’t use it, and shouldn’t use the music on YouTube. For example, some musicians like Prince have law firms scanning the internet and suing anyone using their music.

Second – I would go some where, like Digital Juice, and test drive some of their music to find music that will fit your movie. It will cost you a few bucks to buy a license but it comes with very few restrictions.

Third – You can give your video to the company with a written permission to use the material but you retain the copyright. You need to ask the company who is their audience, how will it be shown, etc. For example, if it will be shown at a conference with several hundred people over a 3-day period, I would charge them a couple hundred dollars – I did this for Time Warner Cable for a regional conference. If the company wants to use it for broader and multiple distribution to their customers, I would charge more.

Inactive

Thanks for the responses, Actually it’s AGCO Corp and they want the video not the music and have asked for a copy in High res. They want to use it in some advertising for thier Gleaner Combines and any other way they see fit without royalties etc… I think I’ll pass unless they want to offer me some dough.

Inactive

…They want to use it in some advertising for thier Gleaner Combines and any other way they see fit without royalties etc… I think I’ll pass unless they want to offer me some dough.

A wise decision.

Participant

They seriously want to use your video to sell their product, and do whatever else they want with it, for-profit or otherwise…without giving you a cut? Passing on that offer is a great idea.

Inactive

Although, what great PR would it be for you to say “that’s my video that AGCO is using”. Sometimes that is worth more than the money they would pay.

If you decide to go for it I would have a lawyer look at the agreement.

BTW, how did AGCO come to find your video?

Inactive

I would ask AGCO how much is it worth to them to own and use the video. They may quote a decent price. Particularly if you made the video for fun with no expectation of earning money for it. Also, if you can go back and film some more, you might ask them if they want any particular type of footage. From that, you could earn more money.

BlackLap is right about the PR. I did several projects for the local Time Warner Cable last year. When I tell people TWC was one of my clients, well, they are impressed. I think I’ve picked up a few projects because of it.

Inactive

The music sounds like The Dave Matthews Band to me. Here’s a thought, if they want the video only, maybe you could sell them the unedited version as “stock video”. I assume if they only want the video, they will most likely be doing some other form of editing – ie voice-over or removing certain patrts.Better yet, maybe you could work a deal to produce the entire thingfor them- earning some cash.

Participant

you cant charge for this video because you pirated copyrighted music.

If you had paid rights to music, you could charge for the video.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap