Shotgun Showdown

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’d like to purchase a shotgun mic for under $400 bucks. In these forums I found a lot of positive comments on Rode’s VideoMic. However, I want something that I can put on a boom pole which is why I don’t list it below.

I’ve narrowed it down to three choices:

– Audio-Technica AT897
      – Rode NTG-1
      – Sennheiser ME 66

My criteria for choosing a mic is pretty straightforward. The mic should be:

– under $400
      – reliable
      – quiet – no buzz or interference
      – good at recording mostly dialogue; ENG/EFG stuff

The only mic from this list that I’ve tried is the Rode NTG-1. I liked the mic very much. It was incredibly quiet, good audio, good reach. My only observation was that it was more of an omni-directional mic than a shotgun. It seemed to pick up quite a bit of sound beyond its’ pickup pattern.

Does anyone have any insight into these mics? I’m especially interested to hear if anyone has worked with two or more of these mics and could compare them.

Thank you.

Participant

Hi.

I’ve used a Sennheiser before, but I’m not sure what model. Using it with a boom, it worked pretty well; the audio level and signal were good. I haven’t used any other shotgun mikes however.

I am in the same situation as you, looking for a shotgun mic to purchase, so I would also appreciate any other advice.

Participant

Here’s a link with a comparison of all the above mikes you listed.

http://dvestore.com/theatre/mics_guide.html

The Rode NTG-2 they tested is the same as the NTG-1, except it can work on phantom power or a little AA or AAA battery (not sure).

My choice, from the mikes you listed, would be the Sennheiser. I think I’m going to go with the NTG2 though, because its cheaper, and sounds almost as good.

Participant

The Me-66 is the industry standard if you’re looking for a good ENG mic. It’s sturdy and reliable. I’ve used one since the ME88 was discontinued. I’ve made the choice to go Sennheiser and have never regretted it.

Participant

Hi.

Okay, I’m pretty sure now that the Sennheiser I used was the ME-66, a Rode boom pole, and a Rode “dead cat” windscreen.

I don’t have anything bad to say about it, there is little noise, and like the above it’s a very popular and well known microphone.

Today I justreceivedthe Rode NTG-2 microphone, and got a chance to test it out. Using a “AA” battery, there is no switch to turn the mic on or off, but instead you’re supposed to remove it. Otherwise, the build seems fine.

Quality wise, its definitely not as great as the ME-66. There is some hum if you turn the gain up, but its pretty reasonable for its price. I was also using an XLR to 1/8 inch adapter, which is unbalanced, though. The sound quality is okay. A little dryer than I would like, but still good.

I don’t regret buying it, and it’s probably the best for its price range. I can’t deny though, that unlike cameras, microphones become outdated much slower, and it would be wiser to start off with a better one (the ME-66).

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap