Shotgun mic selection

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have a Sony HDR HC1. I know it’s not the best camera on the market, but it served me well and I get a good image out of it. My problem is that lately I’ve been looking at purchasing a new shotgun microphone for more control and hopefully better quality. In film school we used shotgun mics attached to mini preamps. The preamps alone cost about $200 CAD. Sony has their own mic which attaches to the Sony shoe mount and only costs $100. I’m trying to decide what is more cost effective for what I’m doing. I am also a low income student still employed at Safeway. I do freelance videography of events and weddings. Suggestions? Has anyone compared the two or link me? Thanks! =)

Inactive

Anything that directly mounts to a camera directly is going to pick up a little bit of camera noise. Plus, I don’t trust microphones made by camera manufacturers, mainly because these are the people who install those wretched built-in microphones in the first place.

Personally, I would invest in a good mic, and a mini recorder to capture the audio. Sure, you’re looking at spending as much as a grand on that, but the truth is, if you’re already struggling with video quality, exceptional audio quality is your key to getting noticed.

Cheers.

Participant

Like jim said, my advice is to invest in a good yet reasonably cheap shotgun microphone (around $200). If your camcorder has a mic input, that’s great. If not, you will also want an external digital recorder… these aren’t cheap either.

Inactive

My camera has a mic input and I’ve recorded to it via school equipment before; so I know it works. After reading a bunch of reviews and watching some test videos, I think I will have to settle with the Sony shotgun microphone for now at least. My income is really low due to getting an useless education. I appreciate all of your input, but in the future I intend on purchasing a higher-up prosumer camcorder (hopefully with changeable lens’ like the newer Sony camcorders). Thanks again for all your help.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap