Short shot on my Canon GL2

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

This was a 10 minute short film we shot on my Canon GL2, then edited in Sony Vegas. Any criticism is very much welcomed.

http://vmix.com/video/1560091/

We wanted a hazy, dreamy look, so we used a soft contrast filter in post. Any suggestions to better our skills would be appreciated.

Steve Maisch

Participant

I<span style=”font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px” class=”Apple-style-span”>watched your video and really like it. I was kind of disappointed with my GL2 because here in my country (Colombia) with the new HDVs nobody wants to work. But your short film proved that it is more creativity and hard work than state of the art technology.</span>

<span style=”font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px” class=”Apple-style-span”>
      I just felt uncomfortable with some dialogue, I was confused with the position of the actors</span>

Participant

I thought it was very well done. I watched the whole thing, so something compelled me to keep watching. Nice ending too!

Participant

Steve,

With a GL2 and no crew listed; you didn’t have a crew??? Are you telling the whole truth and nothing but, guy ???

Watched on this small screen and audio was not crisp; attribute to my system. Do you have the rights to that blues song ?? Good choice.

Thisis the best piece of traditional film making (short film category) I’ve seen in three years on this forum. By that I mean, you were not relying on special effects, computer hijinks to be your story, smother your story, ormake your story work.Closer to Hitchcock than to Lucas and that’s fine for a lot of us boomers.

Possibly good enough for Canon to be interested in as a marketing tool for their beleaguered GL2, which gets mixed reviews in some parts.

I was a jurist for the DC Shorts Film Fest last year. My jury team wouldhave recommended this for the program. It is stronger than a couple films that got awards last year at this Fest.

The DC Film Fest has started to look for entries for the 2008fest. Check for the criteria on the net. Go For It !!!

REGARDS … TOM

Inactive

I loved it. Well done! Keep up the good work.

Inactive

Thanks everyone. Thanks Tom.

Unfortunately “Mr. D” didnt do so well on the rounds to the festivals. We were rejected at ever turn. Sigh. Mostly because of the length and pacing. We kept hearing, “good story, but too slow. Edit quicker”.

Ah well.

PS: Tom, we did have a tiny crew of 3 (I was Producer/writer/director/DP), and zero budget.

Participant

Thanks everyone. Thanks Tom. Unfortunately “Mr. D” didnt do so well on the rounds to the festivals. We were rejected at ever turn. Sigh. Mostly because of the length and pacing. We kept hearing, “good story, but too slow. Edit quicker”.

Ah well. PS: Tom, we did have a tiny crew of 3 (I was Producer/writer/director/DP), and zero budget.

It seems to me that the festivals that you were rejected from are very short sighted and snooty because a film should stand on its own. I have seen profesionaly done films that I thought were too slow but when all is said and done unless you are doing a film for a client the only person you need to please is yourself. Art is very subjective. I read the critics on most of the films being released today and I find that if they don’t like it I will.

One suggestion I would give is to look at tightenin up the dialog the film would pick if that were done.

Keep on filming and learning.

Participant

For what it’s worth, I tried pulling up the film, but apparently vmix.com has had some problems and it is no longer available. Is there somewhere else I could get a look at it from? Thanks!

Best regards,

Scott

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap