Shopping for improved capturing technology

• This topic has 6 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 14 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey it’s my first post! πŸ™‚ Glad to be here.

I am producing a little documentary video in which I will draw from footage shot with my Sony Hi8 (Analog) Camcorder and also VHS Tapes. The quality of the finished product needs to be sufficient enough for online distribution (YouTube). I am not looking for DVD quality. In the past I have tranferred my Hi8 tapes using Dazzle 85 w/Studio 9 Pinnacle software. Then I switched to Windows Movie Maker coupled with the Dazzle 85 device, and I noticed a bump up in quality. But since the substance of the video I’ll be doing is performing arts, I don’t want my product to look jumpy, which is the result I’m achieving with my present system. Can someone recommend a better device? (I’m guessing that a better device is what I need rather than a different software package. If I’m wrong, please correct me).

I’ve been looking at the Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U. Does anyone have experience with this unit? Does it perform better than Pinnacle’s device?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Randy

Inactive

Capturing is only part of the issue. If your captured video looks good already, the problem lies in the editing and transcoding. Typically, its best to use the Microsoft DV AVI codec for capturing and editing. By using this codec, you won’t lose any quality, ever. I found MPEG1 to work well for me when uploading to YouTube. After your video content is ready, transcode it to MPEG1 (or whatever format you choose). If you try to upload uncompressed DV video, 1) the file size will be too big, 2) uncompressed video would play jumpy over the internet, 3) it probably wouldn’t upload, and if it did it would take forever.

I’m suspecting that when you switch applications each are using a different codec. Thus the change in quality. Double check your codecs and make sure they’re the same. Then transcode it to reduce file size but still play smooth. (MPEG1 is nice).

Not to sound mean but if your relatively new to editing, the problem is more than likely inexperience. I hope this helps out.

Participant

Plextor is a hardware capture device, so you will get MPEG2 or MPEG 4 an output file. For the editing purposes you may need AVI Type 2 files, so try Voyetra Advantage. They are both coming with the software.

http://www.faqvideo.com

Inactive

Thanks for the replies! Microsoft DV AVI . . . . Well I know that at least Windows Movie Maker, a basic package, does not afford that format as an option. I’m not even sure what codec that program is using but I believe all files end up .wmv . I suppose I could download one of those shareware transcoders, and convert it afterwords.

I spoke with Plextor the other day. When I inquired about the quality of capturing technology over Pinnacle, they informed me that the Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U was no longer being manufactured due to the fact that it was not compatible with MS-Vista and another MS platform as well. So, essentially I would be purchasing a product that would soon be outdated. Plextor was unable to give me definitive info as to whether or when an updated unit would come out . . . . didn’t sound too promising.

Inactive

Thanks compusolver. Well I called up Pinnacle today and inquired into that DC10 card. The representative informed me that there really is no difference in technology between my external device and the capture card. "The only difference" he said "is that one product is internal and the other external. You won’t improve your picture quality by switching to our card."

He said that the answer to improved picture clarity lies in the software rather than hardware. He then recommended an upgrade to Studio 10. I have version 9.4 software at present.

Inactive

Driver? Hmmm. I’ll look online and see what I can find. Yes, my device accepts S-Video and no, my camcorder does not have such an output option installed. The dull image or fuzziness I’m seeing is on the finished product, not the preview monitor. I’m producing high level AVI or WMV files as opposed to DVD quality. Thanks.

Inactive

you will have great results with a canopus advc converter. the 110 is excellent, no drivers to install, just hook it up and go.

John

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap