Shooting your own weathercast

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey All,

New to the forums but, just wanted to try to find the best way to do some sort of weathercast using chroma-key. Obviously I’d need a chroma-key backdrop (don’t have yet), good lighting (also don’t have yet) and a camera (I have a 3CCD sony camera that works great).

However, I don’t know what kind of affordable software I could use to both give me remote control access to switch images and to do a live display that I can see so that I can point in the correct place. It would also need to record the composited video (obviously).

I’m a weather geek, what can I say?

I was just curious if there was an affordable way to do something like this.

God Bless,

Chris

Participant

Premiere Elements can do what you want to do along with other editing software. The book “Hollywood Special Effects with Premiere Elements 3” explains in great detail how to do it and has a disk with all files needed to do it.

Participant

It’s a matter of a style. A-Channel TV station in Ottawa does not use green screen for the weather. They do it in few different ways through the show. Personality is very important, so the weather guy is on the screen as much as possible. He may be on full screen occasionally covered by the numbers, or he may share the screen with the numbers half-and-half, or he may stand by the plasma screen with computer generated maps and talk. They use green screen for other things, but no longer for the weather.

DIY Wedding Video

Inactive

Premiere Elements can do what you want to do along with other editing software. The book “Hollywood Special Effects with Premiere Elements 3” explains in great detail how to do it and has a disk with all files needed to do it.

Wouldn’t using premiere mean that you’d have to put the images in during post-production?

Participant

Yes it would. Sorry I missed the live part.

Participant

It’s unfortunate, but most of the live greenscreen software is a bit pricey.

I work at a Middle school where they are teaching the students to do live broadcasts and the software they use upwards of $500 per license.

Inactive

I’m curious what you are doing with it. Just your own weather newscasts or is there a specific project in mind?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap