Shooting Video From A Still Camera

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have a question. Once in a while I shoot short video clips from one of my Sony digital cameras (still cameras, not camcorders). I find that the video is of very low quality yet the file size is way larger than my three chip camcorders. It is on the order of 2MB for a 5 second scene. The file from the still camera is mpeg. My Sony DSR PD 170 shoots a 30 second scene that is about 2MB and is excellent quality. Can anyone explain why a lower quality video is way larger in file size?
      Oh… Of course I do not use the still cameras for anything serious πŸ˜€
      Thanks!

Participant

2MB for 30 seconds? Are you sure that isn’t further compressed? DV will use way more than that in its native codec.

Participant

Endeavor Wrote:

2MB for 30 seconds? Are you sure that isn’t further compressed? DV will use way more than that in its native codec.

I load video right from my camcorder to my PC computer. A clip I just checked was 26 seconds long and 1.7 MB file size.

Participant

What filetype is it? Generally, an avi file uncompressed from dv will be about 35 MB (give or take) for 10 seconds. There will be a variation depending on what filetype your editing system is creating for your video but if the file is that small, you may not be getting the best quality (the video is probably compressed quite a bit).

Participant

Endeavor Wrote:

What filetype is it? Generally, an avi file uncompressed from dv will be about 35 MB (give or take) for 10 seconds. There will be a variation depending on what filetype your editing system is creating for your video but if the file is that small, you may not be getting the best quality (the video is probably compressed quite a bit).

The video from the camcorder is a WMA file, and the video from the still camera is MPEG. If it is compressed, does the computer automatically do that when I load it onto the hard drive?

Participant

what are you using to capture? for some reason your capture utility is automatically capturing to windows media (highly compressed) instead of a standard DV file (slightly compressed, but that’s standard).

Participant

i43 Productions Wrote:

what are you using to capture? for some reason your capture utility is automatically capturing to windows media (highly compressed) instead of a standard DV file (slightly compressed, but that’s standard).

I simply plug it into my laptop via firewire and load it onto the hard drive using Windows Movie Maker. My laptop runs Windows XP.

Participant

Then Moviemaker is compressing the video. Just be aware that if you want the best quality of video, you will want to tell Moviemaker to use avis and not compress them.

Participant

Endeavor Wrote:

Then Moviemaker is compressing the video. Just be aware that if you want the best quality of video, you will want to tell Moviemaker to use avis and not compress them.

I certainly appreciate the information. I do all my editing on a Casablanca Prestige so the compression is not a problem. I only use my computer for video clips I wish to email.
    Thanks again! πŸ˜€

Participant

So if you’re just using those clips to e-mail…then the answer to your original question about the different file sizes is that WMV compression is a much more efficient compressor compared to the built-in compression in your camera.

Participant

i43 Productions Wrote:

So if you’re just using those clips to e-mail…then the answer to your original question about the different file sizes is that WMV compression is a much more efficient compressor compared to the built-in compression in your camera.

Thanks!

• Viewing 10 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap