Shooting in tight spots

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I was wondering if anyone has tips on shooting in tight spots? I was shooting a Bar Mitzvah the other day and during the “Hora” The dance floor got pretty crowded which made it difficult to get decent shots on the floor. I was wondering what some of you guys would do in this situation. Thanks.

Rex,

By that time you’re just filming ‘B-roll’ for coverage. Long as you have a recorder or another camera getting the overall shot and sound or both, you can put a small camera on a boom or a thin light tripod, set the image wide and get overhead crowd shots. Just don’t jam the poor kid in the face when they lift him up or anything….

Participant

fisheye lens, overhead shot…

Participant

monopod, can be used as an impromptu boom.

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

What I do is record from every possible angle. By recording A LOT of B-roll, later in post I can play with the camera angles. Be creative with this shot. I have climb ladders, chairs and like Bill mentioned using a monopod (or a tripod) to get an “aerial” view. Just don’t stop recording different takes, even if it’s lame (you never know if you will need it in post).

Participant

Thank you guys! I was thinking about a wide angle lens and possibly bringing a small ladder too. Those seem to be the best solutions for shooting dancing on the fly.

Participant

How about a herocam, mounted on you head? No zoom but it would fit anywhere you are. This would probably be in addtition to your other camera(s).

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best micro four thirds lenses — 2021

MFT, or micro four thirds, is a popular mount style used by many manufacturers in conjunction with the micro 4/3 sensor. It’s good to keep in mind that micro four thirds camera systems use a smaller sensor.
homicide-bootstrap