Shooting in sd but using editing to output in hd

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Is it possible with like a gl 2 to output the 16:9 video in hd? i know you can do it with 1080 i cameras and put them out in p so why couldnt you upconvert the 16:9 video… i know the quality would be far inferior but i am curious to know if it would be better than sd

Inactive

that’s kinda like asking, if you pour an 8oz glass of water, into a 16oz glass, will you feel more refreshed.
      but I’d be curious to find out if theres any interpolation software out there that’d do a convincing job…..
      Now buying an hd cam to shoot in sd will give you noticably better sd video….

Inactive

I read an article about a movie that David Lynch was shooting in SD Mini DV.
      He had originally started shooting in SD but then they up converted to HD.

It can be done but if I had to guess, I would think that it’s easier to shoot in HD if you want HD.
      I’m guessing cheaper too….

Inactive

hidef1080,
      I too read an artice about someone having their SD footage "bumped up" to HD. But they had shot with progressive scan, not interlaced video. Probably used a Panasonic DVX100. The "bump up" was probably done by interpolating between 2 scan lines to get what the in-between scan line(s) would look like. You’d have to do that with a progressive scan original; otherwise the result would have weird jaggies whenever there was horizontal motion. πŸ˜•
      Ken Hull

Inactive

if photography experiance counts for anything, I’ve seen images from 6mp cameras upsized with genuine fractals to 5-6 times the cameras resolution, that look great…until you compare the images side by side with the same shot done on a 32 mp medium format back.
      Interpolated pixels, are not as nice as actual pixels.

Inactive

well thanks for all of the posts i really did enjoy them. i just know that there are alot of upconverting devices out there like dvd players and such and was just curious if some of that technology was used for this.
      but thanks to all for input.

Inactive

I am also very puzzled with so many versions of hd displays … full 1920, 1440, 720…., and coming out so fast!!
      I have a big question regard the editing part:how can I edit hd movie if so many different picture modes are pumping in? Can I load a full 1920×1080 movie to my computer and start editing with a combination of other 1440×1080 footages recorded from another camera? Is this possible for mix video footages coming from different HD "formats" ? and what will my result picture format be?

full 1920×1080 and 1440×1080 cameras are they using the same type of HDv tapes?

thanks for any comments

a puzzled big question

Inactive

kokleunam Wrote:

I am also very puzzled with so many versions of hd displays … full 1920, 1440, 720…., and coming out so fast!!
      I have a big question regard the editing part:how can I edit hd movie if so many different picture modes are pumping in? Can I load a full 1920×1080 movie to my computer and start editing with a combination of other 1440×1080 footages recorded from another camera? Is this possible for mix video footages coming from different HD "formats" ? and what will my result picture format be?

full 1920×1080 and 1440×1080 cameras are they using the same type of HDv tapes?

thanks for any comments

a puzzled big question

A little history [very little]

Anything with more resolution than Standard Definition 720 X 480 could technically be called High Definition but the powers that be wisely put some standards out there so we really have:
      1920 X 1080
      1280 X 720

To answer your question –
      Yes you can mix 1920 X 1080 with 1440 X 1080 as 1440 X 1080 will be 1920 X 1080 after it converts in your NLE or when its played back from your camera.
      1440 X 1080 uses non-square pixels so youll set that in your editor before you move your images from your camera to your computer. Your editor will know how to deal with 1440 and output it as 1920.

Avid I know for a fact will allow you to mix HD standards and SD images in the editor in real time.
      Im not 100% sure if other NLEs do that but Im sure the major ones like Adobe and Sony will give you that option as well.

I hope I didnt get too far off track and I hope I answered your question.

Inactive

one more question relate to editing= equally important, which machines best do the editing job? There are different features in computer, Core2 duo, Core 2 quad…..and capture/ display cards…I just want some figures for reference, for example how much ram is needed… .Any conversations already started on the same topic that I can look at? any websites? Actually anything in this world called HD capture card, specially for HD videos capture? I’m new and confused…. and getting a little overload with new tech info., but thanks for comment

Inactive

kokleunam Wrote:

one more question relate to editing= equally important, which machines best do the editing job? There are different features in computer, Core2 duo, Core 2 quad…..and capture/ display cards…I just want some figures for reference, for example how much ram is needed… .Any conversations already started on the same topic that I can look at? any websites? Actually anything in this world called HD capture card, specially for HD videos capture? I’m new and confused…. and getting a little overload with new tech info., but thanks for comment

Get at least a Core 2 Duo. I’ve never worked with the quad so I cannot say if they offer better speed…. I would guess yes but I don’t know for sure so I may be wrong.

I started in HDV with a 128 graphic card and about 510mb of ram. NOT GOOD!!!! My laptop could handle SD all day but HDV caused it to slow to unworkable speeds.
      Now with 2 gigs of ram, a Core 2 Duo and 400mb on my graphics card I’m having no troubles at all. Like day and night [or night and day].
      I only work with laptops because I need to shoot and edit on the move but desktops offer more of everything for the money.

Look at your hard drive size and speed [7000 rpms or better] at least 2 gigs of ram and never hold back on your graphics card memory [graphic card memory is very important].

Keep in mind that HDV is not as needy as uncompressed HD so IMO I don’t think you’ll need to go the way of arrayed disc drives but get as much drive space as you can.

This website, sony hdv info.com has some good info but I have not been there in some time….
      Digital Cinema Society.org is a great place to check out!!!

Good luck!!

Inactive

Thanks v much for your valuable advice!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2020

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap