Shooting ” double system “

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I am interested in hearing from those who have had experience in recordingSYNC sound on a separate digital sound recorder. How well did the sound stay in sync with the video? What measures were used to establish sync and to maintain sync? What issues arose in editing concerning sound sync?

Many of the questions posted on the sound forum could best be answered by shooting double system.

Rick Crampton

Participant

the best thing to do is use a clap board. When you get into post, you’ll sync the audio and video by matching the video of the clapboard with the sound of the clapboard that was recorded with your separate recorder.

What kind of production are you recording? Is it one where you’ll be in control you actually can use the clapboard?

Rick,

Rob called it. I would add an audio slate for the benefit of the recorder. Just make sure you film the slate being done (it sounds obvious, but it gets missed on occasion hence the term ‘tail slate.’)

If you are a one-person show, and can’t handle the clapboard AND the camera simultaneously, use a cap pistol or a starter pistol. It works, you can do it with one hand while holding the camera with the other, and it’s eye-catching to boot. (I use one but I don’t shootin really public places…)

A trick I learn a while ago for syncing sound with video is similar to the cap-pistol method mentioned above.

I use a Zoom H2 in concert with my camera when I want to get better area sound. I spot both the camera and Zoom locations for the shotandmark the Zoom location. When I am ready to record I move the Zoom near the camera, start the recording on both devices,say thetitle/take (a verbal slateif you will)ofthe shot, thenI double click on a pet training “clicker” (this gives 4 distinct clicks on the audio to later use to line upin the editor) then move the Zoom back to its location.

The verbal “slate” lets me match the video and audio record. The double click is easy to see as sharp spikeson the audio waveforms in the editor to line things up.

something like this, inexpensive, can strap it to your camera tripod or stick in your pocket.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751377&lmdn=Dog

I vocally enter date, time, location and event at the beginning of my Zoom H2 recordings, and subsequent cards if any. I usually, if it is a situation where I can, clap my hands or issue a quick whistle while rolling tape/H2.

In post I sync up the markers used to identify. I’ve found that using H2 audio longer than a half-hour or so can occasionally result in some drift or delay, though it has not proven critical to me. I also usually “normalize” the audio either via the H2 (take some time) or my editing system audio programs, burn an AIFF CD backup and files to my audio hard drive (just in case Murphy is lurking) and often will cut sections of my audio into smaller more manageable segments (especially if lip synching is imperative) before adding to my project.

Even though that takes away from my original synching sounds (clap or whistle) it is easy to work with the timecode to get to where I want if I’m keeping notes or paying attention.

Developing an approach that works for you will eventually make the whole process easier and quicker to perform.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap