Shooting Christmas lights at night

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have a Canon HX-A1 and I would like to shoot various homes that have lots of Christmas lights. Should I put the camera in manual mode and look into the viewfinder and adjust the camera until the image looks ok, or is there some standard camera settings that I can use? I don’t want a washed out look or an overexposed look. I want it to look great so I don’t have to do any tweeking in post. Any suggestions would be great. If you have done it and it turned out great let me know. Thanks. Oh, this would be for my own use and not for publication.

Inactive

manual settings is the way to go. just keep an eye on the exposure, I don’t know about your camera’s low light capabilities, so it’s hard to say how much you should adjust the aperture and shutter speeds.

John

Participant

Set camera to manual, set color balance to “Incandescent or Indoor”…

1/2 hour before sunset, till dark, 1/2 hour before sunrise till light….there’ll be a sweetspot when the daylight brightness balances with the xmas lights, and the sky will be a nice shade of deep blue….

Participant

From what I hear from users on this site and from people who own one the Canon HX-A1 has only fair low light ability

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap