Shooting an event and…

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

There is a big event coming up at school, a 4 or so hour even one evening and there are plans to shoot it and then have the footage be available on CDs/DVDs for sale when its finished. I’m going to be one of the main people organizing this as well as the editor of the footage (working with Sony Vegas) but my question is- how long does it take to transfer video via firewire into a computer? I assume there is a difference between importing HD and SD but how much? The reason I’m asking this is that there is a possibility of there being cameras of both formats used. Speaking of which- is this even a good idea? How noticeable would the difference be between the two? And I really don’t want to start covering it up with color correction since that would be somewhat unsuitable for the event.

Participant

If the final output is to DVD I would not shoot in HD (especially for that long a program). SD video capture is real time so it will take as long as the footage is to capture it.

Participant

But why not HD? And how long would it take to capture it?
      I don’t really know that much about the subject but isn’t HD supposed to create a sharper image with (as I’ve heard) "deeper" colors?

Inactive

Capturing footage from a tape to your computer, whether or not it’s SD or HD, happens in realtime, or in other words it takes as long to get it onto the computer as it took you to get it on to tape. That’s one of the downsides to tape based recording.

HD video is a lot crisper than SD, but it’s also a lot more finicky. If you have a camera that only shoots in SD, then your best bet is to record footage by the lowest common denominator, and shoot SD footage from all your cameras. DVD and VHS players can only play SD quality anyway, so anything you shoot in HD will have to be converted down for that.

As far as color goes, every camera is going to vary a little, and so you’ll want to do a manual white balance at your location. That will pull most of your colors closer together, but you may still need to adjust your colors in post to get it perfect if you have different brands of camera.

Participant

Ok, thanks.
      But could you please define "finicky". What do you mean by that?

Inactive

Well, for starters, the little stuff that an SD camera won’t notice (wrinkled skin, etc) stand out like they’re painted on with HD cameras. Plus, at least the first generation HD gear had issues with rapid movements. If you suddenly jerked the camera one way or another, the picture would get choppy. Now, even SD will do this to an extent, but it’s very irritating to see it in HD.

HD also likes rooms to be better lit. The CCD’s have a lot more pixels on them, which means a lot less light hits each pixel. The result is that in darker rooms, you need more gain, which distorts your image. No fun at all.

Plus in general, HD just requires a lot more precision to work with. When it comes to handheld operation, I’m "the human tripod" with my SD gear, as steady as they come. But with HD gear, I can see a lot more movement in the picture. I suppose the biggest problem with a more accurate image is that it’s more accurate.

Hope that helps.

Participant

Ok, thanks. I just heard of this idea today and I’m doing some research into the technical side of things (as in whether its even technically possible).

Participant

Not to mention that if you shoot in HDV (assuming your not using one of the more professional varieties of HD) on MiniDV tapes, you’ll loose PCM 48K sound quality – They had to find room on the tape for the extra video signal and sound quality was sacrificed.

You can either live with that or record sound separately.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap