Shooting Aerial Video

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi all, new to the board here. Long time reader first time poster. Got a couple of questions for the forum’s expertise. I already did a search and came up with little info, so here goes…

BACKGROUND
      I’ve been contracted to tape a boat Poker Run Event which requires me to be shooting from a helicopter – hand held – (on board’s and hand-held POV’s will be in place on various boats). My video camera is a Sony HDRFX1 – shooting in DV. Most of the audio will be narrated over with a bed of music, except for some ocassional close ups of running boats (loud exhaust). I also have a Rode video mic, and a wide angle lense (don’t know if I’ll need that….)

QUESTION
      Do I NEED to have a gyro setup for the hand held position while shooting from the helicopter OR is the image stabilization sufficient? Could I use something like a glidecam or varizoom setup? The majority of shots will be from the side or behind boat(s) running down the lake at a low elevation in the copter.

Inactive

Welcome aboard! πŸ™‚

Last year I picked up a Glidecam 2000 because I wasn’t real happy with the results of some shots I was doing for one of my projects. After my first attempt I was really happy with the results. Later I found out that this was kind of hard on my wrist so I picked up the special wrist support as well. BOY… did that make a difference.

Anyway, I have to say that this is really cool. When I walk or even go up stairs the camera video almost seemed like it was on a gyro guidewire set up like at some of the professional football games. You can’t pick up the fact that I was walking at all. I have to think that with a little practice, your heilo-shots and boat shots would come off way smoother because the gimble set-up on the Glidecam would absorb all of the fast jerking and bumping that is typically associated with hand holding shots. In other words it almost looks like your camera is floating or flying through the air. It is however a pain in the butt to get everything balanced right. It seems like they could have come up with a better quick realease set up versus what they have. It takes me about 10 minutes to balance it out.

All in all, you’re looking at about $300.00’ish for everything. Check in with B&H.

RAM

Inactive

Thanks for your input V-M, I was checking out the Glidecam last night and saw the wrist support – figured that would make a big difference if shooting for any length of time. Do yout think the "smooth shooter" would be overkill? I don’t necessarily have the extra $1500 just for this project right now, but who know what it could open the doors to….

Inactive

I really don’t know anything about the "Smooth Shooter" let alone ever heard of it. As I mentioned, I just have the Glidecam and for the amount of time I use it coupled with the results, I think it was worth it.

RAM

Inactive

[quote="Video-maniac"]I really don’t know anything about the "Smooth Shooter" let alone ever heard of it. As I mentioned, I just have the Glidecam and for the amount of time I use it coupled with the results, I think it was worth it.

RAM[/quote]

FYI…smooth shooter is made by Glidecam and replaced the Glidecam V8 model…. http://www.glidecam.com/product-smooth-shooter.php

Thanks for your input! πŸ˜€

Inactive

go rent a Kenyon KS-6 gyro and mount it to you camera. This is what we dowhen don’t use our unmanned helicopter and shoot handheld from a full size heli.

it make a tremendous difference but takes some getting used to in terms of holding the camera and letting it sort of "float"

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap