Shooting a racing event with 8 GL2s

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi,

I’m trying to tackle a project that most likely requires a few highly trained experts but before I start hiring people I’d like to check the possiblity of doing it myself.

I need to shoot a racing event from 8 different camera angles similar to the way a TV crew would. (I would obviously hire cameramen) But because of my budget (roughly 100k) I can’t afford to run cables and do live switching. I need a way to do “fake” live switching after the fact. Read on…

The main differences are:
      1. Its not for TV. Its for download from a website (not live webcast)
      2. I’d like to avoid “live” switching, rather doing a post production using the footage from each camera’s tape.
      3. I want to use 8 Canon GL2s.

The event is a national motocross race. I want shoot the race via DV and then offer my footage on a website for download (not live webcast).

I figured I’d need at least 8 cameras at the event to capture the race in detail. And the tracks aren’t huge, per se, but they are very “hilly” so the riders are going out of view quite often. Hence the need for many different angles.

The reason I don’t think live switching would work is because the cameras will just be too far away to run cable. Plus there are bulldozers and huge water trucks traversing the infield throughout the day that would make mense meat out of any cable lying on the ground. Also the production truck would have to be in parking lot practically.

I’d like to try and find a solution for editing my footage down to a single “show”, (after) the race but still doing this in a sort of live way?

Like if I could sync all of the tapes and then have them play at once so that I could “live” switch them from tape. Does this make any sense?

I don’t even know if this kind of thing is available.

Inactive

I’M SORRY I CAN’T REMEBER BUT I’M PRETTY SURE FROM THIS MAGAZINE I READ ABOUT A SOFTWARE THAT CAN HANDLE FROM 2-4 CAMERA SHOOT BUT I BELIEVE ITS ALL LOG AND CAPTURED INTO YOUR COMPUTERS HARDDRIVE FIRST MAKING IT HARD DRIVE SPACE INTENSIVE / BUT I HAVE A SOLUTION FOR YOUR 8 CAMERAS IF YOUR WILLING TO USE FINAL CUT PRO WHICH IS NOT CHEAP / YOU HAVE TO MOST LIKELY DUMP ALL 8 CAMERAS FOOTAGE ONTO A COMPUTER HD ( SOMETHING LIKE THIS WILL PROBABLY TAKE UP BETWEEN 40-100 GB OF SPACE ) AND PLACE ALL 8 ANGLES INTO THE CANVAS WINDOW BY USING IMAGE AND WIREFRAME ON SO YOU CAN SHRINK DOWN THE VIDEO SIZES AND MAKE A BRADY BUNCH TYPE OF EFFECT AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEE ALL THE FOOTAGE AT THE SAME TIME AND IF YOUR SMART YOU WILL HAVE PEN AND PAPER IN HAND AND GET READY TO START WRITING WHAT SHOTS TO TAKE FROM WHAT CAMERAS / MAKE SURE YOU ARE ORGANIZED WITH EVERYTHING LABELED AS TO WHAT CAMERA PEOPLE ARE ON AND WHAT TAPE # THEY ARE ON IF THIS TAKES MORE THAN AN HOUR TO SHOOT / P.S WHERE ARE YOU FROM MAYBE I COULD HELP/ LATER

Participant

I wouldn’t use Canon cameras, but you didn’t ask about that.

I use Sony Vegas for my edits and with an inexpensive plug-in called Excalibur, 8-camera editing is fairly trivial. You just put the 8-video tracks on the timeline, sync them up, then punch up each camera “live” as you view the 8 tracks simultaneously.

Steve Mann

Inactive

Cool thanks Steve. I’ve heard that using Vegas can solve the multicamera problem given you have the time to do all of those captures.

BTW why not Canon?

Participant

What do you mean “all those captures”?? If you can’t link the cameras for live switching, then how else are you going to get the footage into the NLE?

You could put a FireStore on each camera then just copy the camera’s data to the NLE. That would save an hour for each tape.

Steve Mann

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap