Shooting a “night” scene. Blue gel filter?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I need to shoot in a bedroom at night. Do I just cover my light(s) with a blue gel filter? Is there such a thing as an inexpensive blue gel filter? They seem to run about $50.

Anonymous
      Inactive

The price of a filter to cover a small light can be found for less than $50. If you plan to cover an entire window with the filter, then I’d say $50 is a fair price.

-andrew@ videomaker

Ryan3078
      Participant

If you have the option to manually adjust your white balance, then white balance your camcorder with a piece of orange construction paper.

This gives the scene a blue/night effect.

EDIT

And its a lot cheaper than purchasing filters.

faqvideo
      Participant

Changing the colour of your light source may help, but…

if you camera has an auto white balance, it may compensate to the change, and it’ll look the same,
      if you camera has a manual white balance, you can keep the lights of the same colour, but make a white balance off the cold card, or off a sample of warm, light yellowish/reddish paper or fabric.

Right setting of the lights is more important, use more back lights and less light on the front side to create silhouettes.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Miscellaneous Techniques’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN