shooting a band

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      sneakerkid1
      Participant

Hi, Along withshooting video,I’m alsoin a band and only have a comcorder and a tri-pod. It’s not much of anything but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to go about doing this? My only guess is to shoot the song multiple times with different shots. But any tips would be great.

Thanks.

Hbrookes
      Participant

I just did a music video exactly that way. Shoot multiple takes while playing back the song for lip syncing. Use a clapper to line up the intros and then cut

for different takes. Insert edit cutaways. good luck.

Harry

bobdut
      Participant

How about just letting the camera rum without stopping, that way you get an uninterupted music track and just walk around and shoot lots of various angles. I used to do when I didn’t have a soundman working with me, lots of faces, finger snapping, wide shots and as much as you can get in in a tune, then shoot the that next tune and forget that sound, just take a lot of pictures- also of the audience if there is one and you can use those pix with the first sound track, you’ll find you get pretty ggood at it and it worked for me when I was a network cameraman. Bob Dutru (retired cinematographer)

TomScratch
      Participant

Anonymous
      Inactive

Shoot one wide shot live. Two cameras would be on the wish list for this, but a track/dolly shot would make it nicer with the added motion- keep the motions very slow. Make a CD of the live audio. Play this back on individual takes so each member can synch up to the original and shoot each angle. The CD audio in the B roll will give you a good reference. Made a detailed plan/storyboard or how many angles you want for each member. Shoot one player with different angles on each CD playback. Try to keep other members out of the shot or ensure they are in synch. Keep the original live track and wide shot, then insert edit till you pass out!

Anonymous
      Inactive

How about just letting the camera rum without stopping, that way you get an uninterupted music track and just walk around and shoot lots of various angles. I used to do when I didn’t have a soundman working with me, lots of faces, finger snapping, wide shots and as much as you can get in in a tune, then shoot the that next tune and forget that sound, just take a lot of pictures- also of the audience if there is one and you can use those pix with the first sound track, you’ll find you get pretty ggood at it and it worked for me when I was a network cameraman. Bob Dutru (retired cinematographer)

I like this suggestion best. But if there is any way you can have someone who knows how to operate a camera do pan shots and zooms while you are playing that would be cool. If not, do as suggested and have the lead singer do the pans and zooms of the rest of the band playing through the song without the singing. If you want some zooms of the singer you can have another member of the band do that on a separate take while the singer is fronting with the band.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Open Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN