Shoot and capture audio

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m going to be doing a video shoot involving a forum setting. There will be a panel of people and an audience asking questions.

I need to know how to best do this at the BEST quality level.

I suspect I’ll be needing 2 cameras so I’m not swinging from panel to audience, to panel and so on.

How do I shoot and capture all the audio, IE: The speakers, the questions and answers?

Thanks > Tony

First question is what is your budget?

And what sound equipment do you already have?

Participant

First question is what is your budget? And what sound equipment do you already have?

I was told to do it right and spare no expense. However, I’m sure there is a budget. Let’s say, middle of the pack.

I have NO audio equipment.

I have a Panasonic PS300 or something like that. 3ccd lens etc….

Participant

How about something like this? Or should I get a cordless mic?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/534023-REG/Sennheiser_MKE_400_MKE_400_Compact_Video.html

Participant

I’m assuming that this will be edited in an NLE and the speakers will be sitting down…..

It sounds like you’re going to need a mixer with a good number of channels. For example, if you have 4 speakers and a large audience, you definitely need one channeldesignatedfor each speakers, and one or two channels for the audience. I suggest having a lavalier mic on each speaker and 2 hand held mics that can be passed around in the audience. If the audience isn’t too large, one hand held mic will probably be effiencent.

If you embrace this method, youdefinitelyneed someone to operate the mixer, which shouldn’t be too hard. Before the shoot, set the levels for each mic–speakers and audience. During the shoot, the speakers’ mic levels should stay the same, but the audience’s mic levels may change depending on how close they hold the mic to their mouth. That’s where the audio tech comes in. That person will have to monitor their levels as well as mute channels that aren’t being used at the moment.

Then you go out of the mixer and into a camera, but I don’t know how to get more than 2 individual channels. I’ve never don’t that before. I pretty sure you can’t get more than 2 on tape. You may want to look that up. Maybe hook the mixer up to a digital recorder and a camera. Then you can use the audio from the camera to reference while you use the audio from the digital recorder for the final edit.

Naw mean?

Participant

Thanks for the info thus far.

I will be using FinalCut studio for editing the video, and the audio will be edited using SoundTrackPro. I might be getting the Adobe suite instead, not sure yet….

What if I have someone wondering around with a mic on a boom. How’s this sound (no pun intended)? Wireless Mic?

I kind of understand what you are suggesting, but I don’t like the idea of recording the audio trough the speaker, will that come out sounding ok?

You do bring up a good point, I need to figure out how to capture the audio while having it play over speakers for all to hear. Hmmmm. Can you tell I’m a newbe? I’m a self taught person, have been all my life, so I’m enjoying this research and I’m looking forward to working on this.

Inactive

I’ve worked with live audio for several years in church, concert and crusade settings etc providing sound reinforcement. My suggestions are these: have someone running your mixer with headphones listening to exactly what’s going into the mixer. I would pan the panelists and the audience mics to separate channels i.e. pan all panelists to the left channel and all audience mics to the right. You can make them mono with your NLE. This way if a panelist is coughing while an audience memberis asking a question you can still have clean audio to work with. Also, the person running your board (mixer) will be able to quickly drop a mic level should someone begin coughing or scraping/bumping their mic.

Some mixers have up to four or eight separate outputs (subgroups) or Aux outputsdepending on the size of the mixer you have access to.Different channels can be assigned to Aux1, 2, 3, or 4 etc.With this you could do quite a bit of live mixing and matching. With a laptop and inexpensive software you can get more than two audio channels recording which you can synch with your NLE. This setup could get a little complicated if you’re not familiar with live Audio or don’t have access to a firewire mixer,so if not I’d recommend the simple ‘pan’ method.

The simplest would be to pan pannelists and audience mics to Left and Right respectively and then make them mono in post when you have the levels and eq set like you want. You could probably borrow most of the audio equipment you need.

I’m sure budget is of concern eventually. I’ve included links to some equipment that, while not studio grade will do well for the task you have.

http://directproaudio.com/product.cfm?directid=53685

http://directproaudio.com/shop/shop.cfm?section=1271&sortby=lowestp

http://directproaudio.com/shop/microphones/wireless/index.cfm?CFID=11957315&CFTOKEN=12889772

My thoughts.. good luck.

Participant

“I kind of understand what you are suggesting, but I don’t like the idea of recording the audio trough the speaker, will that come out sounding ok?”

Oh I’m sorry. I thought you meant “speaker” as in like, “a person is going to be a speaker”. Sorry, my misunderstanding. Yea, don’t put a mic next to a speaker unless you have too.

Inactive

p.s.. my suggestion was not usinga house mixer, but simply using a mixer going straight into the camcorder audio input. If there is going to be a house mixer, you could simply tap into one of the outputs and plug into your camcorder.

Participant

LOL…. dude, the thought of putting a mic by a speaker… LOL

Anyway, I’m researching shotgun mics…. >http://www.videomaker.com/article/12670/

How does this work if I have it on a boom? Long cord?

Thanks again > TOny

Participant

My current camera is a GS300 and has an external MIC input….

Participant

I dunno about that mic, I’ve never used it. I’ve used this one with success though:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/400806-REG/Rode__NTG_2_Shotgun_Microphone.html

Also, NewMovies has some good suggestions too…So consider his ideas as well.

Inactive

My only concern about using a boompole and shotgun is that you may have trouble getting all the audio, being able to move the mic quickly enough to get panelists and audience members without it being awkward.

Participant

Newmovies, I’m sorry, I didn’t even see your posts. I think you posted while I was posting and I never saw them. Thanks for your input.

Participant

My only concern about using a boompole and shotgun is that you may have trouble getting all the audio, being able to move the mic quickly enough to get panelists and audience members without it being awkward.

Precisely. I was thinking the same thing.

Are the shotgun mics good at picking up audio? I have another client that I shoot TV commercials for and I’ve wanted to shoot with talent but have never done it. Would a shotgun mic work?

Participant

Just got some more info from my client. The room won’t be huge and the audience will be amanageablenumber. So a person running around with a mic so the panel can hear the question won’t be needed. In other words, we won’t need the audience to speak in a mic and have it over a speaker system for the panel to hear it. They will simply speak out so everyone can hear, thus I believe a shotgun should work.

Thoughts?

Participant

I’m sorry for all the posts and newbe questions…. I’m planning on getting a second camera. So I’ll be using one on the panel and one panning and zooming on the person asking the question. So I’m thinking of having ONE wireless mic that all the panelists speak into, and the one on the audience would be a shotgun.

Ok, I’ll stop posting on my own thread now πŸ˜‰

Tony

Ok, for the best possiable audio capture I would go with muti track recording hence you will be doing post production in FCP. I’m still unclear how many camera’s you are going to use, looks like 1 or 2. Anyway, I would use a mixer as they said above the Mackie Pro FX12 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProFX12/will be perfect for what you are doing, a great board at a cheap price. it is also USB and it comes with trackion 3 software. this means you connect the usb to a Computer. now the FX12 has a monitor out you can send this to the cameras and they will pick up the overall mix. but the audio you will be using is in trackion it is muti track, that will allow you to turn off the channels that are not in use in post production that will give you the best possibale audio.

now all you have to do is sync it all. to do this have somebody stand up front just before you start, have all cameras zoom in, start recording all cameras and start recording in trackion, have this person count down from 3 and when they get to 0 clap thier hands. now in FCP you will be able to sync both cameras and the audio. Now it is very important that after you start that you do not stop till you are done. I strongly recermend battery back ups for all equipment. if somebody pauses or stops recording you have lost your sync and then you are screwed.

Now you said you will not need a mic for the questions i dis aggree, while this may be fine for the venue this is not ok for the recordings, put a single mic on a stand that people can approch and speak, you may not need this in the mains but you do need it in the recording.

hope this helps

as far as type of mics to use that totaly depends on the room. if feedback is not a issue, such as the room is med to large and the walls are soft and has accustal treatment to go with a Dynamic Cardioid mic such as the EC RE20 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RE20/or a SuperCardioid such as the EV ND967 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ND967/yes I love EV mics in my honest opion they have the best sound before feedback. But if feedback is a issue then a tight pattern shotgun mic should be used with low gain. such as the rode NTG-1 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/367746-REG/Rode_NTG_1_NTG_1_Shotgun_Microphone.htmlIf you use a shotgun you will want to use it at low gain to reject everything off axes. now with this the speakers will not be able to move around much but this is the best bet for good audio in a place where feedback is a issue.

I would stay clear of lapels and area mics, they are ok for venues but not so much for recording.

Participant

Thanks.

I’m using 2 cameras. I’ll most likely get another panasonic GS500

Inactive

Hey duotone, I’ve used this mic. It has about a 145degree pickup pattern and would be good for a table of panelists. It is a condensor mic that uses phantom power (not from a battery) and does a good job for the price of picking up a wide angle such as several people along a table.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-990s-Condenser-Microphone?sku=273103

Something more directional would be good for the audience. I use the Azden SGM-1X shotgun mic. However, like all shotguns, it is very directional, so if it’s not directly pointed at the person speaking, it rejects the sound. Therefore a wider angle mic would be better suited for the audience.

Good luck.

Participant

Hey, I like that idea!

I’m pricing out a macbookpro, GS500 camera, FCP, another monitor and the mics.

Thanks all for your input.

Inactive

Also consider using a Mackie Firewire mixer connected to your computer.

I understand that with this model, each channel of audio is captured separately on the computer.

That makes it easy to tweak levels when everything is done.

• Viewing 22 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap