Shaky Tripod

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

When shooting event videos, I have ran across a tripod problem. When shooting on a wooden floor (with carpet) the tripod shakes a little when children run by or when adults walk by. I have a Amvona AT-9905 tripod with a leg spredder and rubber feat.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Garrette

Inactive

Most cameras have an image stabilizer built in. The amount of shaking your talking about should be removed by the cameras stabilizer. I have seen the same issue and found the cameras stabilizers to work fine.

Inactive

When I shot still photography we use to add weight to the center of the tripod.
      Some people would use a few ankle weights and such.

Inactive

I’m using an xl2, but if I activate the on camera stabilizer I then have problems tracking the subject. For instance when I stop panning the camera stabilizer keeps moving for a sec or two, especially when I’m zoomed in.

The ankle weights gives me an Idea to use maybe some small sandbags on the feet.

Most of the time its not a problem but it can reall ruin a good wedding.

Thanks for the input,

Garrette

http://www.eyenamics.com

Participant

I’m transiting from broadcast over to consumer/commercial video production and still use a very heavy duty Vinten carbon fiber tripod and "Vision 10" head. My Z1U looks a little out of place up there, but talk about stability. Still though, you can only be as stable as the floor beneath you. In my ENG days, I would have to shoot on risers from 60 yards away. Everyone knew and understood that when cameras were rolling, you just don’t move. Ever. For any reason.
      I would suugest you rope off an area around the camera to eliminate anyone from causing shake to your tripod. Sometimes this works…sometimes not. Another thing is to take the hand towels, fold them to a thickness of about 2 inches and place those underneath each foot of the tripod. That adds some more shock absorbtion and might also help.
      Now, lets’ talk about holding a camera steady in a helicopter…. On second thought, maybe we’ll do that another time.

Good Luck-

Inactive

Well the ankle weights are just one of the things we’ve used in the past and they do work.
      Some people will "hang" equipment off of the tripod too but again the idea is to add more weight at the center.

On looking professional: I’d rather give my customer a clean image with whatever I use vs. looking "professional" and giving them some fuzzy video.

My 2 cents.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap