settings for big screen playback

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello All,

I am going to be producing a short (5 – 10 minutes) corporate video that is going to be shown (projected, I guess?) on a big screen in a hotel ballroom. Though I’ve shot and edited many things in the past, my involvements typically ends when I hand over the finished product on DVD. Moreover, I usually don’t need to worry so much about projection quality — I just point and shoot with default settings. As I mentioned, this project is going to be shown on a “big screen” and I want to make sure I can do whatever I need to during shooting to optimize the look. Also, I am assuming I can output onto a DVD like usual.

Any broad-stroke advice from anyone would be greatly apprectiated.

Terrific forum, by the way.

Inactive

If viewers are going to be close to the big screen, any imperfections in camera handling will be magnified. So keep the camera steady (on a tripod if you can), avoid fast zooms, and avoid fast pans. Take time to focus on your subject. Frame your shots to avoid large areas that are much brighter than your subject.

Also, sometimes when a “big screen” is used, the room lights are still on. So make sure your subject is properly lit to show up well in less than ideal viewing conditions.

Good luck!

Ken Hull

Participant

Thanks, Ken. Good advice not only for me, but for anyone reading this thread. But can regular DVDs be projected up on a big screen? And assuming they can, do you know of any particular settings etc. I should set before rendering and burning?

Thanks, again.

Inactive

andyedits,

Since no one else has said anything, let me add something:

The short answer is Yes, the output of a regular DVD player can probably be input to a hi-def projector or big screen TV. But it would be best to get hold of the specs on the specific equipment that will be used. For serious theater-type presentations, they might be using a video server (a computer designed for inputing and outputting video) feeding the video projector, so you would need to find out what file types or media types it can handle.

Ken Hull

Participant

Hi andyedits,

You should be able to project a DVD without too many problems. Many projectors and pre-wired wall or floor configurations use a VGA connection to carry your video signal. Almost all PCs have this connection so all you would need is a VGA male to VGA female to get plugged in and start projecting (assuming of course that the PC or laptop has DVD playing capabilities)

Macs and Mac laptops also work with VGA inputs. However, you would need to get a mini-DVI to VGA adapter which costs approx $25 – good luck!

In Solidarity,

Alain

http://www.crazyredacesproductions.blogspot.com/

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap