Setting up a computer for video editing

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Hello all,on page #27 in “Videomaker” April2008,the author Ed Driscoll states,”Multiple drives allow for a seperation of programs on one drive,raw video files on another and a library of stock footage,sound effects andother building blocks on the third.”On my HP Z800,I plan to have 5 drives installed.I under stand how to put programs on the one drive,but how do I set up the other 4 drives for what Ed says to have on the other drives.Also,can an HPZ800 be used for general computing,and playing games?And if not,what computer would give me the best of all worlds;gaming,editing,and general computing.Videography is my hobby.Thank you.

PL,

You want mutiple drives on your computer primarily to distribute the workload your cpu will be doing particularly when it comes to graphics/nle work. Your C: drive is the ‘administrator’ as it contains all of your working programs, OS and various updates (not in that order.) The last thing you want to have your C: drive trying run all of its required processes all while doing some serious lifting during a video editing project. You can allocate different drives to do different things like have one drive specifically for images and graphic work, another for your motion graphic/dvd/web authoring projects, another for audio and another purely for video storage. Many folks (myself included) take two or more drives and link them together as a RAID array to increase the storage capacity needed for video editing.

Since you’re getting an HP, you’ll be using windows (I recommend Vista Business 64-bit for NLE workstations.) In the Control Panel under the Administrative tools you’ll find the disk management controls which will help you allocate your harddrives to your specifications. If you’ve never done this before, get some knowledgeable help! If you want to know more about your options concerning the bennie’s / drawbacks about PC computer setups go to the ‘Build or Not to Build’ thread. Many of those questions have already been answered, but feel free to ask anyway.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap