Semi-newb buying production equipment, please review.

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Semi-newb buying production equipment, please review.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

First off I would like to say how informative and helpful this forum is, answered 99.9% of my questions with a simple search. Well, I used to produce videos on a very small scale and It was more of a hobby than anything else, well money was tight and I had to sell the majority of my gear. Now it’s time to get serious.

Theres a lot more technology out now and I want to be sure I’m getting the right stuff for my needs. As of now I want to keep the costs as low as possible.

Computer—
      **Intel Pentium D Processor 940 featuring two processing cores; 3.2GHz
      **2.0GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM memory (Expanding to 3.0gb)
      **NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE graphics card with TurboCache supporting up to 256MB shared video memory
      **500GB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive (with external 1TB hdd)
      **DVD SuperMulti Drive with LightScribe Technology.
      **(already have a 19" wide screen flat panel monitor)
      Rest of the specs can be seen here
      http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=computer_store&landing=computers&category=desktops/media_center/ready_to_ship&subcat1=rts&catLevel=4&product_code=ER885AA%23ABA

Camera– Panasonic PV-GS300. 3ccd camera for $700??? am I missing something here? Too good to be true? Is the quality as good as the vx2000 and such higher end cameras. Don’t want to dish out the $ if I dont have to.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&itemId=96240&catGroupId=25003&modelNo=PV-GS300&surfModel=PV-GS300&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702

Editing System– Sony Vegas 6.0+dvd production. Previously used vegas and am very familiar with their software.

Turned out to be a very reasonable cost, but before I buy I would just like some feedback on the setup.

Also who would I contact to get a business name started?

Thanks a TON guys I know it was a long post.

Inactive

I guess the only question I have is that "is the type of RAM your getting the correct type for your motherboard?" Each mobo has a specific type. Mine uses the DDR2 667 RAM. If you got the correct type, you’ll be fine.

As far as the quality of the camera, 3CCD will give you a great picture. The reason it’s less is the lack of features such as manual controls of focus, white balance, and exposure. Some inexpensive cameras may have these controls included, but how easy are they to use while filming? I also noticed the specs don’t mention a firewire jack. I can’t possibly believe that a digital video camera wouldn’t have one but its not mentioned. Also, 12 lux! Better have good lighting!

I am not familiar with Vegas editing at all so I cannot comment on that.

Inactive

Thanks a lot for the tips guys. I decided to go with the vx2100 or the gl2, that listed cam wont do the job after doing extensive research.

How do you feel with regard to the vegas editing software? I’ve used it before so I’d rather go with it again but is there any other programs more efficient for editing? I’ve read great reviews on vegas.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best tripods for video — 2021

Carefully comparing and reviewing system specs will ultimately help you find the best tripod to fit your needs and your budget.
homicide-bootstrap