Secure mount on moving vehicle

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Lot’s of the clamps and suction cups these days seem very secure, but what about the wee 1/4″ or 3/8″ screw that mounts your camera ???

Offroad there’s a ton of vibration, and with cameras weighing upwards of 3Kg (6.5 pounds), isn’t there a risk that the wee screw will bust spilling your camera worth thousands all over the place? I’ve not worked with anyone who does this, so surely there’s somethin better than a few cable ties ???

Don’t be shy, just tell me if I’m the only one who doesn’t know this. JMcK

Participant

Check out “The LowRider” from Digital Juice – They have it in two sizes plus a decent mounting kit is available.

http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/products.asp?pid=1151

Stickypod. There’s also a good article on VM called ‘Using a Car Mount’ you should take a look at. They use the stickypod in the demo.

Car Mounts B&H

wow !!! you guys don’t let the grass grow under your feet. I expected to wait days for some responses. Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll post my conclusions when I’ve checked it all out

JohnMcK

The weak link for anything onto which the camera mounts is that threaded screw. This is why, in addition to ANY type of moving vehicle mounting device I will use tape, wrap and/or bungie cords for extra security. Most of the time I use a bean-bag-style padded cushion and a host of the above-indicated materials for securing a camera to a vehicle.

I have not, however, yet engaged in off-road projects, but in using assorted platform-and-bean-bag rigs I’ve gotten smooth highway shots, drives through scenic areas, bicycle club side-by-sides, etc. And the cameras used didn’t fall off the wagon πŸ˜‰

EarlC is right, use bungie cords if need be. I’ve strapped my Sony to a shotgun (using a rifle cam mount) and the added bungie cord keeps it from flopping all over and breaking off the mount. I use the same ideawith my makeshift jib. Or, when in doubt, duct tape.

Duct tape’s only primary drawback is the sticky residue it leaves behind. I would suggest, though it is certainly much more expensive, using cloth gaffer’s tape that is designed to NOT leave such residue – so long, of course, as it is not left over a period of days πŸ˜‰

• Viewing 6 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap