SDR-S50 – copying 16:9 files to PC and playing them back

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Consumer Camcorders SDR-S50 – copying 16:9 files to PC and playing them back

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Hi All,

I just joined, to ask a question that I can’t seem to find the answer to…

I have a Panasonic SDR-S50 and have happily been recording files for a month or so now in 16:9 mode. all are fine and playback fine on the camcorder and my TV.

BUT…

I just popped the SD card out and plugged it into my PC card reader and all the files (MOD MPEG files) play back squashed to 4:3 aspect on my PC.

Does anyone know why the files are being seen as 4:3 and not 16:9.

I know how to fix this sort of thing n a TV or monitor, but when you are dealing with a file, I thought it would hold some sort of info to say “I’m a 16:9 file” – It’s gonna be a complete pain if the only way to view the footage that I shoot on a PC is to convert the files somehow, and even if this IS the only way, WHAT do I use?!?!?!

ANY help would be gratefully received.

cheers
      Jez

?

Participant

A lot of cameras that use the .MOD format don’t set the MPEG wide-screen flag correctly. (Ours presumably sets it in a .MOI file that nothing knows how to use)

Sometimes the software included with the camera can be used to copy the files off and set the wide-screen flag when doing so. Otherwise there’s a program someone wrote called sdcopy that does the same thing. Google it or here’s a link: http://www.zyvid.com/smf/index.php?topic=280.150

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video editing software — 2021

In this article, we’ll go over the criteria you’ll need to consider when choosing the best video editing software for your needs.
homicide-bootstrap