scene detect with XH-A1

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am thinking of buying Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. I already have Premiere Pro 1.5. I want to capture video with my new Canon XH-A1 and I have been reading some confusing information about the camera and CS4. Will the Canon XH-A1 capture and do scene detect using Adobe CS4. Some say the Adobe CS4 will only scene detect 60i and not 30f or 24f. Does anyone know? I can’t seem to get an answer from any Adobe forums. Also will Adobe CS4 perform device control for the XH-A1.

Participant

Device Control for the XH-A1, yes. I am not sure about the scene detection however. If all else fails you may be able to use HDVSplit to capture your video, it is free and many use it rather than Premiere Pro or Elements for HDV capture for a number of reasons. That’s a great camera by the way πŸ˜‰

Participant

@ Robert

what are 30f/24f?

Did you mean 30p and 24p for the progressive settings?

This is from the Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 help file on the web, according to the information below the automatic scene detection features won’t work with hd or hdv footage:

Use automatic scene detection

Instead of manually logging In and Out points, you can use the Scene Detect feature. Scene Detect analyzes the video for scene breaks as indicated by the tape’s Time/Date stamp, such as those caused when you press the camera’s pause button while recording. When Scene Detect is on and you perform a capture, Adobe Premiere Pro automatically captures a separate file (Windows) or creates a master clip with a subclip (Mac OS) at each scene break it detects. In Mac OS, it places the subclips in a new bin. Scene Detect works whether you capture an entire tape or just a section between specific In and Out points. If you turn on Scene Detect and capture using In and Out points, Scene Detect may break up clips between the defined In and Out points if a scene break is detected.

Scene Detect logs scenes for batch capturing without altering the tape’s progress. It also logs scenes that occur across timecode breaks.

Note: Automatic scene detection isn’t available for HDV or HD assets.

Adobe Premiere Pro will capture a separate file for each scene it detects (Windows), or it will capture a master clip for the duration of the capture, with a subclip for each scene, placing all subclips into a new bin (Mac OS).

Participant

I can confirm that HDV with the XHA1, in CS3, ‘scene detect’ does not work, nor does it work with the HV20 camera.

Participant

I have CS3 and use HDVsplit for capturing HD. It is freeware but works great. Google it and get yourself a copy.

Cheers

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap