Saving capture reference files in FCP

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

To clarify, When you capture a video to the computer, is there a way to save the reference file so that if you need to redownload the tape later, it will be identical to the original version? Then all of the FCP project files will work again.

Thanks

Participant

I’m confused about why or when you would need to do this. Can you give an example?

I know what you can do is locate the clip in your capture scratch, move it, and then FCP will tell you that the clip is offline. From there you can pop in the proper tape and capture again.

Participant

Or just archive the FCP project file, they’re only a few MBs.

Inactive

When would I use this:

For example: Let’s say that I have downloaded the tapes either in multiple different clips through batch capture for through just downloading the whole tape at once then I create clips within FCP, the whole time using the original captured video as the reference.

After I have finished editing and I have no more use for the tapes to be on the computer, i then delete them to free up space.

1 or 2 years (or a few months) down the road, I either realize that I need to further edit something (for example, for a sample, or competition, etc). I want to be able to download the original file, exactly as it was during the original work on the project so that all my reference files link up correctly. And so, essentially, I don’t have to completely re-edit.

I’ve heard that there is a way to do this. Or a file that is created or able to be created that is a reference file specifically for recapturing tapes.

I just want to know to do this.

Inactive

I understand about saving the project files. I do that anyway. But if I delete the original captured video, there will be a bunch of broken links. So I would need to be able to create an exact duplicate down to the Frame so that all the clips link up in the project.

Participant

It sounds like you are describing an EDL (Edit Decision List), but I don’t think that is what you want.

When you log a tape, the clip instance that is added to your capture bin in FCP is a reference to the timecode on the tape. If you then batch capture the footage. The clips in your project bin will retain references to the original tape positions that they are taken from. You should just be able to stick the tape back in at any time and it wil cue up and capture the same footage. As long as you don’t delete your FCP file you should be fine. I have no idea if this works when you just set the capture window to capture now, or just capture the whole tape without logging, I have never worked that way.

Participant

Excellent conversation! So, WHERE are you saving these files? What is your storage type?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Canon lenses — 2021

There are a number of Canon lenses on the market for both their DSLR and mirrorless cameras, these are our picks for EF, EF-S and RF mounts.
homicide-bootstrap