You're using a beta version of our new web site.

Save the Date Video

Home Forums Specialty Topics Wedding and Event Video Save the Date Video

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

https://vimeo.com/45736983

I wanted to get some feedback on my latest video. A very short Save the Date video!

Thanks

Jon

palladini971
    Participant

Was this was shot as an invite for a wedding, or a simple engagement annocemant? Either way. well shot, well edited.

Charles
    Participant

Nice job and I think it was an invite video. Good idea as I have very seen one like that before.

Anonymous

Thanks guys!

It is a invite video. I wanted to do something a lot shorter then a full engagement or love story that would be a little cheaper for couples and could be easily shared with friends

aguilar3137
    Participant

Well done!!!

JackWolcott
    Participant

Color me old fashioned, but I’ve got a beef with this. You have 11 shots in a row in which primarily the camera, rather than the subjects, is in motion. I watch entire films — 90 – 120 minutes in length — in which there aren’t 11 dolly or Stedicam shots in all. There’s no fire hosing in your piece, which is good, but to my eye the constant camera movement is a) repetitive, b) without reason vis a vis the event, and c) slightly nausea inducing.

When I cop to being “old fashioned” I’m suggesting that the film/video media has always struck me as being about capturing motion, not about creating motion: moving stuff happens — people run, walk, dance, etc., — and the motion camera records what they’re doing. Cuts occur as a means of moving our eye from one point to another (See Walter Murch In The Blink of an Eye) specifically without moving the camera back and forth; the cut is the antithesis of the pan.

Moving the camera can be highly dramatic. In fact, the first time a film was made in which the camera moved audiences were astonished and delighted. Following Rocky up the Art Museum steps in Philadelphia decades later with a freely moving camera was heralded as a triumph of film making in its day. But to me to continually move the camera around essentially static figures as you do really negates the value of this technique.

Jack

http://www.videoccasions-nw.com

EddieValiant

Jon, the constant movement would be OK if the talent was moving as well and the music matched the movement. My reaction to the piece is it's similar to a short music video. In music videos, the motion and music should have complementary pacing. I didn't see that here.

Jack's criticism of too many moving shots is valid, but I think I see what you're trying to do and the concept is good. I would not have used the slider. A static overhead or a few low level shots might have been better than multiple slider shots. Sliders evoke elegance and dignity and I don't think this piece can be described as being elegant. It's playful with more than a hint of exhuberance and the sliders don't say that.

As I said, it's a good concept and even though I'm a little late to this conversation, I hope you'll post more examples. 

marcofree
    Participant

The video is just fine.  All that camera movement might not be traditional, but it's attention getting. I watched twice. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.