SATA card for laptop

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m editing on a laptop and looking to up my storage capabilities. I’ve come across a card for laptops that has two SATA ports.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=SATA+laptop+card&hl=en&lr=&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title

Has anyone had experience with something like this? I wonder if there are compatability issues with a card like this and my laptop’s motherboard. Or even if I’ll really get SATA speeds (1500 Mb/s) out of it without being limited by my hardware in any way (while it runs Premiere just fine, my laptop–a discontinued HP pavilion5000us–is by no means designed for video editing).

Participant

First off you will never get the raited speed for anything. This is a nominal speed. The nominal speed for the pcmcia card is 132MBs so if the nominal for sata is 1500Mbs and a Byte is 8bits then the nominal for sata in MB is 187.5MBs. Then The sata standard is faster than the PCMCIA bus but still not faster than most actual Hard drive speeds. In the end this will give you more bandwith but if the PC is not fast enough to handle the extra bandwith then it is a mute point. My recomendation would be to compare prices on a firewire drive (which you already have a FW port i assume) and the cost of upgrading to the SATA interface. Honistly I doubt you will notice a difference in speed between a FireWire drive and a SATA drive unless a. you were using a laptop with the new express card slot (which would be faster than the SATA spec) and b. your computer was fast enough to actually utilize the extra bandwith.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best laptops for video editing — 2021

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap