Safe Area, Zooming & Premiere Elements

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Safe Area, Zooming & Premiere Elements

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello again…this is a follow-up (kinda) of a post I’d written a while ago as well as searching the forum for others’ posts.

Some of my video clips outside of the TV safe area do not look good because some edges are missing. That’s not tragic because on the TV it shows great. However, if someone pops the DVD into a computer they can see all the missing corners.

Compusolver (and I hope you’re reading this!) X-D suggested that if I’ve gotta make my video work, try the "zoom" feature. Well, I tried that (using Video Effects) and here’s where I need help again. The zoom is not constant. The clip is actually zooming in or out as the video plays. How do I apply the zoom so that the entire clip remains zoomed? I need to knock off the edges that are blackened or missing.

Maybe it’s the version of Premiere Elements that I’m using? 1.0

Thanks if anyone can help. πŸ™‚

Participant

I was sort of scratching my head over a program that would allow you to "clip" but not "resize", so I Googled up "adobe premiere elements resize" and the very first listing was:

http://desktopvideo.about.com/od/adobepremiereelements/ss/premele8_RO_3.htm

Where they do in fact, explain how to resize your image, albeit this is in reference to picture-in-picture, but the same info should apply to slightly enlarging an image. At any rate, clip is probably a better option. Glad you got it figured out!

Participant

THANK YOU Compusolver! I went back to Elements and searched for "resize" like you suggested. 1.0 doesn’t seem to have that feature, but the search led to "clip" (which is trim). I trimmed the edges of each clip to form a nice, clean edge and it looks great! Plus, because my transitions are cross-dissolve, the slight changes in size doesn’t leap out at the viewer if looking at the DVD on a computer and of course, it looks fine on the TV.

πŸ™‚

Participant

Thanks for the link! The screen shot is identical to my 1.0 version.

It didn’t occur to me to Google the keywords. I rely alot on the built-in Tutorials and "Help" Manual that the program comes with (and the Videomaker Forum! X-D ) so when I didn’t see "resize", I thought that the version didn’t have it. Perhaps some manuals just don’t cover the program’s capabilities exhaustively.

In this instance the "clip" feature is the ideal one, but it’s good to know that the video clips can be resized as well.

Inactive

Microchip,

I must be missing something. Are you saying that Elements doesn’t let you re-size the frame? I’m almost thinking that it has to somewhere. It’s a very basic necessity when video editing. Premiere Pro has this feature and that is an Adobe product. Instead of the word "zoom", look for the word "scale" instead.

RAM

Participant

RAM, I searched for "scale" in the Tutorial and yes it’s there, it says:

You use the Motion effect to position, rotate, or scale a clip within the video frame. By default, a clip appears at 100% of its original size in the center of the Monitor window. Position, Scale, and Rotation values are calculated from the anchor point …

This is good to know. My video clips are already not of high quality so I don’t know what enlarging them might do…but I will experiment with the feature.

You guys are great, thanks! πŸ˜€

Inactive

Helen,

That’s what I thought. I’m not sure if you know this but just in case you don’t, if you have issues with the edges of some video, you can scale it up which will move those edges off the screen. Just because you see that the scale is at 100% doesn’t mean that you can’t go bigger. You can still scale it up even further. You just can’t do it with the slider. You won’t have to scale it up to far as to start messing with the quality of your clip.

Please keep in mind that I’m doing a lot of assuming here but I’m thinking that elements should be able to do this only because its big brother Premiere Pro can. Take your mouse pointer and hoover over the bluish 100% number above the scale slider. Click and hold your mouse button and the pointer should go to a double looking pointer. Now just move the pointer to the right or left depending on if you want to go bigger or smaller and you should see the frame grow or shrink. Why they don’t have it so that the slider can do this is beyond me. You would think they would have the slider in the center representing the 100% number. Oh well!

Good luck!

RAM

Participant

RAM, Elements resizes in the way you described. And it doesn’t seem to affect the quality much. As I’m getting to know the program more, I’m surprised at some of the features that it has, for such a "basic" version of an editing program. A person can turn out a really good video – even professional-looking – with it. So, the Pro version must be super!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap