Rushing is bad.Really bad.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      michael9

I ran an interview with a busy executive the other day. First it was on, then it was off and then back on again. In the end Ihad about fifteen minutes to set up. I learned to never rush the setup again, I so learned!Reasons:

I ran two cameras and one was not well positioned. The one that was well positioned had a new Rode mic on it which I didn’t turn on( eye roll) so no sound at allto that camera. Getting a synch in post was a royalpain. Also, myDR-40 was setmuch lower than I would have preferredbecause didn’t check it in my rush.My biggest issue tough is that Imanaged to get a microphone untidily intrudinginto the frame in both videos.

I shot in 1080p and all things aside it’s a good interview and I was thinking that I should be able toisolate the part of the frame I wantby changing the resolution to 720p (?). I’m using PP CS5.5 and was wondering how to select that part of the frameI want to show and to discard the offending mic? Is there another way that would let me keep 1080p?

pseudosafari

Much easier in After Effects with a mask. There was an article in Videomaker a couple of years ago I think that demonstrated precisely that. Depending on what the background looks like, you duplicate the layers, and then you draw the mask around the mic and subtract that area out. Move the underlying layer over a bit, feather it to your liking, and viola–mic free. Or if you don’t have AE, rather than downgrade to 720p, can you click on the footage in the preview pane and you can re-size it there and move it around? I do that frequently when I want to zoom in, or re-center the shot, or take things out of the shot. I don’t think there’s a way to “crop” the picture like you would in Photoshop. Not sure if either of these will help but worth a try.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Editing’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

CANON EOS

REBEL T7i

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN