Rode videomic pro,canon hv30,ext mic mount

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hope you guys are up for a little friendly chatter about external mics and how to mount them on the Canon HV30. After reading reviews and listening to tests on youtube for a variety of external mics including the Rode Video Mic, Rode videomic pro, senheisser 400, azden smt55? ect, I think I am going to give the Rode Videomic Pro a try based on size and performance. I liked the sound of the Rode Videomic better on the tests I heard but it just seems to big for such a small cam. I was ready to purchase the Pro when I discovered I would need a mount of some sort. There appear to be a few choices that let you mount the mic essentially on the cam accessory shoe. I’ve also seen a couple of L-Shaped brackets that mount the mic on the side. I would like to know what you guys are using and how you like your setup. Post some pics if you don’t mind. Seems like the L-brackets would make it hard to balance the cam when shooting off the tripod. I like the idea of having the mic over the top of the cam, but most people say it needs to be off the cam to avoid hum and noise. I like to shoot thru the eyepiece instead of the LCD sometimes so I don’t want that blocked. I may have to get a couple of different mounts to suit my needs. I will be shooting mostly handheld for my next project with only a little tripod work. Can’t wait for the feedback.Check back soon.

Freelife2g<span style=”white-space: pre;”> </span>

Participant

Hi,

I own a Panasonic HDC TM700 which is the same size of your camera and my local supplier suggest to use a Sennheiser MKE400 cost about $250 it is a small mic and yield a very nice result. Small camera need a small mic too long this can block high zoom and each time I use it the camera detect the presence of some object can block the zoom vision. I use for distance up to 40 feet away the talent most time isabout 6 feet. See your local dealer and bring your camera probably you can test itin the store.

Regards,

YR

Participant

I occasionally use the Rode videomic with an HV20 and don’t get noise – it works very well.

Participant

How do you mount the mic on the cam guys? Bruce..the standard Rode Videomic doesn’t isn’t too big for the hv20? I mean in terms of weight it adds to cam, or so long that it gets in the frame on certain shots. Are you shooting handheld on on a tripod?

Participant

the videomic fits in the flash shoe. It’s not too long; you can’t see the nose. The mic is very light, I usually use it on a tripod, I have used it for handheld w/o problem. Canon HV20 with Rode Videomic

Participant

so if I order a Rode Videomic w/mount, the mount that comes with it should fit the shoe on top of the cam correct? What do you do if you need a light at the same time?

Participant

with the advent of HDSLR came a bunch of accessories to add shoes. I use one that screws into the tripod mount at the bottom of the camera, that has a hand grip on the left side that has a shoe on top where I can put my light.

Inactive

Yes, The Rode Mic has pretty good quality. I use it for documentary shooting and for the price you cant beet it. Mainly I use the sony uwp mics, there quality is a lot better, but if you are in close quarters, it works well. I took the weird little peice off mine and mounted it to a clip on my Panasonic Hmc 40, but have seen people using it on the Cannon DSlr’s.

There is a video on our site that I used the Rode in called March Forth Video spot. Check the link for quality.

http://www.fourtenvisuals.com

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap