Rode videomic pro,canon hv30,ext mic mount

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hope you guys are up for a little friendly chatter about external mics and how to mount them on the Canon HV30. After reading reviews and listening to tests on youtube for a variety of external mics including the Rode Video Mic, Rode videomic pro, senheisser 400, azden smt55? ect, I think I am going to give the Rode Videomic Pro a try based on size and performance. I liked the sound of the Rode Videomic better on the tests I heard but it just seems to big for such a small cam. I was ready to purchase the Pro when I discovered I would need a mount of some sort. There appear to be a few choices that let you mount the mic essentially on the cam accessory shoe. I’ve also seen a couple of L-Shaped brackets that mount the mic on the side. I would like to know what you guys are using and how you like your setup. Post some pics if you don’t mind. Seems like the L-brackets would make it hard to balance the cam when shooting off the tripod. I like the idea of having the mic over the top of the cam, but most people say it needs to be off the cam to avoid hum and noise. I like to shoot thru the eyepiece instead of the LCD sometimes so I don’t want that blocked. I may have to get a couple of different mounts to suit my needs. I will be shooting mostly handheld for my next project with only a little tripod work. Can’t wait for the feedback.Check back soon.

Freelife2g<span style=”white-space: pre;”> </span>

Participant

Hi,

I own a Panasonic HDC TM700 which is the same size of your camera and my local supplier suggest to use a Sennheiser MKE400 cost about $250 it is a small mic and yield a very nice result. Small camera need a small mic too long this can block high zoom and each time I use it the camera detect the presence of some object can block the zoom vision. I use for distance up to 40 feet away the talent most time isabout 6 feet. See your local dealer and bring your camera probably you can test itin the store.

Regards,

YR

Participant

I occasionally use the Rode videomic with an HV20 and don’t get noise – it works very well.

Participant

How do you mount the mic on the cam guys? Bruce..the standard Rode Videomic doesn’t isn’t too big for the hv20? I mean in terms of weight it adds to cam, or so long that it gets in the frame on certain shots. Are you shooting handheld on on a tripod?

Participant

the videomic fits in the flash shoe. It’s not too long; you can’t see the nose. The mic is very light, I usually use it on a tripod, I have used it for handheld w/o problem. Canon HV20 with Rode Videomic

Participant

so if I order a Rode Videomic w/mount, the mount that comes with it should fit the shoe on top of the cam correct? What do you do if you need a light at the same time?

Participant

with the advent of HDSLR came a bunch of accessories to add shoes. I use one that screws into the tripod mount at the bottom of the camera, that has a hand grip on the left side that has a shoe on top where I can put my light.

Inactive

Yes, The Rode Mic has pretty good quality. I use it for documentary shooting and for the price you cant beet it. Mainly I use the sony uwp mics, there quality is a lot better, but if you are in close quarters, it works well. I took the weird little peice off mine and mounted it to a clip on my Panasonic Hmc 40, but have seen people using it on the Cannon DSlr’s.

There is a video on our site that I used the Rode in called March Forth Video spot. Check the link for quality.

http://www.fourtenvisuals.com

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap