RODE MIC VS DM 50

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Im looking for a mic for my hv40, im trying to decide between the rode videomic and the canon dm50 although im open to any suggestions. I film outdoor auto events 99% of the time and want to pickup the car sounds,people talking etc..

Participant

I have an HV20 and the RODE Videomic – get the pro version. The Videomic works really really well and I’d recommend it up to some squeakyness in the suspension – which they fixed in the pro version.

Participant

The DM 50 doesn’t work on the HV40. At least mine never did and I never heard of anyone else getting it to work. I use an azden on mine but its a “B” set up, so if this is you’re primary I’d have to go with the Rode.

Participant

Since most of your work is outdoors you need to be concerned with wind noise. In my own experience foam screens are only suitable for light winds. So you may need to add a fuzzy windjammer, commonly called a dead cat. You should be sure such an item is available for the mic you choose and that it doesn’t partially block the lens at low zoom when mounted on your camera.

Participant

Thanks for the input everyone. I think the rode length may be a issue but i was going to try and fab something up that made it set further back on the camera.

Participant

Her are some things i found using the dm50 with the hv40 incase anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Directional-Stereo-Camcorders-Advanced/product-reviews/B00005LD4W/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Participant

with hv30

Participant

My mistake, it was the Canon XLR adapter that I couldn’t get to work and won’t work with it. The DM 50 does but after comparing it to my el’cheapo Azden, I would still opt for the Rode.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap