Resolution/Progressive Scan “Syntax”

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi,

One thing I’m confused about (I’m new to the video thing) is how people represent video resolution and progressive scan…

For example, in one of the Videomaker Buyer’s Guides, in the camera listings for Progressive Scan they say “24p” or “30p” … ? And then for “format” it will say 720p/1080i.

Can someone give me the quick details… (I understand about resolution and progressive scan- I’m just confused about the syntax they’re using in the written articles).

Thanks!
      Marlo

Participant

24P means it’s progressive scan (hence the P) at 24 frames per second.
      30P means Progressive at 30 frames per second
      60i means interlaced (the i) at 30 frames per second, or 60 FIELDs per second. 60i is standard for DV cameras now, but 30P and 24P are gaining in popularity due to the more film-like qualities they show. this is because film is shot at 24 frames per second and is inherantly progressive scan.

so what’s 720P and 1080i?

1080i is 1080×1920 resolution, interlaced
      720P is 720×1280 resolution, progressive scan.

in many current HDV cameras that use 1080i, the camera actually records 1080×1440 and interpolates (or stretches) the pixels out to create the full resolution. this is similar to 4:3 DV verses 16:9 DV. both have the same resolution (720×480) but 16:9 stretches the pixels to create the widescreen look.

i hope i haven’t confused you more…

Participant

Thanks!

You haven’t confused me at all- in fact, I really appreciate all the detail.

As I said, I understood all the stuff about progressive scan and interlaced, etc.- I just was a bit confused about the nomenclature being used.

MM

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Nikon lenses — 2021

Nikon cameras are a favorite for DSLR shooters. Nikon has their own line of lenses, but there are also some third-party options available for both F mounts and Z mounts. Here are the best Nikon lenses currently available on the...
homicide-bootstrap