Report on Datavideo DN-60

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      JackWolcott
      Participant

Mark Holder’s excellent review of the Datavideo DN-60 solid state video recorder and comments from several folk on the Sony Vegas Forum led me to purchase this device — about $500 from B&H plus $89 each for two 32gb memory cards and another $20 for rechargeable batteries and charger.

It’s excellent; I’ve been using it almost daily on an extended shoot. It records to 32gb cards — about 2.5 hours per card — and runs on four AA batteries, which last 4 hours or more. Its well illuminated menu, accessed by an external dial on the device, makes choosing running modes a breeze. It can use either the Fat32 or NTFS file systems and can be set up to record with or without tape in the camera.

The connection to the camera is Firewire; the memory cards download via a standard USB card reader.

Two and a half hours of material takes about 10 minutes to finalize, after which the card can be popped into a card reader and downloaded (another 8-10 minutes.) We’re shooting with both tape (for backup) and cards.

The device is quite light, even with four batteries on board. I’ve been using it on a tree, along with two wireless receivers, on a monopod, climbing all over a huge construction site. No problems.

I don’t usually get enthusiastic about gear, but this is a winner — much more reliable and easier to use, from my experience, than either Firestore or City Disc. Take a look at Holder’s review.

Jack

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap