Recording to a HDD.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

I hope you can help me, I am about to inherit an AV department in a law school and I would like to modernize our video taping process.

I would like to design a system, that can record from camcorders that are either mounted on the wall with PTZ controls. Or place plates in the wall and hook up traditional camcorders and record the content back to a central source. This will give me greater than the 1hr I will get from the mini dvs and also cut out a step if I want to edit the video, stream it, etc.

I have 20-30K that would go to just this backend system, I have the cameras, I have the cabling in place. I just need a system. I actually have an AV consultant that we are working with but their solution isn’t really what I want.

They’ve suggested buying 4 AVID liquid pro systems, and place them on 4 PCs. The problem here is no centralized storage… and to start a recording in a classroom with a portable camera… I literally have to get to the PC to "start" the recording.

There has to be a better way, I am hopeful someone here can point me in the right direction.

Any help would be appreciated.

Peter

Participant

We have a setup where I work here that seems like it would work for you. It pretty much needs to be in a central control room. We have 6 cameras set up with PTZ controls that wire into a switcher. The switcher outputs to a single deck. You can record each camera to HDD, then the master from the switcher to HDD and insert mistakes made by the operator from individual cameras HDD. That eliminates any need for tape all together. You may want to have a tape back up depending on the importance of the video. Does that make any sense? It’s just like switching a football game or NASCAR race on a much much smaller scale. My last employer used FireStore hard drives. They record to most proprietary file formats like Avids OMFI, Final Cut Pro’s Quicktime .mov’s, even .AVI’s and MPEG2 ! I hope that helps.

• Viewing 1 reply thread
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap