Recording PIP

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      legvidgal
      Participant

I am new to this forum and it looks like a great resource.

I do legal videography and would like to find out the best way to go about videotaping a person as he describes a document and have the document show in the corner as a PIP. I know there are many softwares that allow you to do it post production, but I would like to do it as I am videotaping.

We use Panasonic DVC60 cameras and record to Sony DVD recorders. I am guessing we need to use some kind of mixer, but am not sure about the most cost effective way to do it. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Rob
      Participant

I know this doesn’t exactly answer your question, but it is by far much more cost effective to do this is by purchasing software and doing it in post.

Luis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

If I were to do this I would use BoinxTV for Mac or Adobe Visual Communicator for Windows. With this software’s you can connect two cameras (via firewire), select the PIP feature, hit record and it will be recorded to the computer you are using (laptop is recommended). I agree with Rob, is much better to do this in post because once you record the video to the computer hardrive that will be your final product and if you don’t like how it turn out you will not be able to fix it so easily. If you decide to use one of the programs be sure to record on tape in both cameras. This way you will have a backup on tape in case you want to edit it in post later and you will also have the same video recorded on the computer hardrive with the PIP effect. There are other ways to do PIP effect that are hardware base, but there are more expensive.

XTR-91
      Participant

Pretty much any live video board is capable of doing this.

One of the cheapest I find is Panasonic. Just look up video specs

XTR-91
      Participant

I’m selling a Panasonic WJ-AVE5

you can use

vid-e-o-man
      Participant

I’m just making an assumption here but since it is legal videography it would have to be a “live” recording burnt to disc on site. You wouldn’t be able to do any editing as this would be changing testimony.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Open Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best microphone for video production — 2021

Whether you’re recording audio for a commercial, a wedding or your next feature film, you need the best microphone possible.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN