Recording Digital Video Directly to Computer

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello!

For the last five years, I’ve been producing some instructional videos and have a decent business in marketing them to a niche market. My problem is that my camera is dying and I cannot find one that will do what I want it to. I’ve tried two of JVC’s latest to no avail.

Here’s what I’ve been doing: Hook up camera to computer via firewire. Turn everything on. Open Windows Movie Maker. Click on “Capture from Video Device”. At this point, I can start the capture and the raw digital footage is written directly to my computer. It works well for me because I can actually see what I’m recording on my computer’s monitor– which is much easier than looking at a 3.5 inch LCD screen.

The JVC Camera’s I’ve tried all have Hard Drives– could that be the problem? Do I need to go out and scoop up the last few DV Camera’s that use actual tape?!? Or can this be done with one of the more modern cameras that have a hard drive?

Thank You for your patience!

Steven

Inactive

Just look for a camera that records to MiniDV.

Jeremy

Inactive

yeah, hard drive cameras are a problem, because you are sending highly compressed data back to the computer, which, those files will be harder to edit because the NLE has to decompress the file and then recompress before going to DVD. you lose a lot of clarity. As Jeremy stated, look for a good miniDV camera and you will have much better success.

John

Inactive

OK guys– you’ll have to go slow. If I understand you correctly, I want a Digital Video Camera that records to a type of tape called “MiniDV”, because for what I want to do, cameras with hard drives are problematic?

Right?

Steven

Inactive

Yes sir, that’s about it.

Inactive

Thank you very much for helping me. I sincerely appreciate it.

Steven

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap