Recommendation for an HD prosumer camera

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have been using my Sony Handycam HDR-HC3 for 5 years now and have been thinking about upgrading to a more prosumer camera. Since i’m far from an expert, i’d like to solicit the opinions of those on this board for their recommendation. After buying the HC3, I lucked out and purchased the mic input ActiveSync hotshoe accessory and have been using a Sennheiser MKE400 microphone with great results. Since I want to stay HD, I was thinking about the Sony NEX-VG10, but some of the reviews have been less than favorable. I do not shoot professionally but would like to start shooting sports car racing documentaries (strictly amateur stuff but still want great results).

Is the NEX-VG10 a good choice? I’d rather be closer to $1000 if possible, and don’t mind buying used. I haven’t found many used HD cams on Craigslist, though. I also plan on buying a Beachtek for XLR if needed.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Inactive

Just to add a little more info: I edit using Sony Vegas Pro 8. I used to work for a computer hardware/software company called Digital Processing Systems (DPS), which was purchased by Leitch. I worked with dpsVelocity and dpsReality until our office was shut down in 2002.

VG10 looks goods for a entry level prosumer camera..with the interchangeable lens feature you can create very good looking videos..We shoot weddings and were looking into getting a couple of VG10s but in the end decided to go with Canon 60D (DSLR) mainly because the VG10 lacks progressive recording, 24fps option and the visual quality beats Sony hands down..and for the price of the 60D you can’t go wrong. We also have the Canon Vixia HF G10 and i must say it delivers better quality recording than the VG10 for a much reasonable price.

Inactive

After doing some more research, it might also look at a DSLR option. I used to shoot lots of stills many years ago with SLRs as well as my Mamiya RZ67. The Panasonic GH2 is much cheaper than the Sony I was considering, but I like the fact that Sony has an adapter where I can use Zeiss T* lenses, which should give phenomenal video (it should at $1700)! But does the 60D limit how much video you can shoot at one time? Since i’ll be primarily shooting motor racing, I don’t want to be limited with the shooting length.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses — 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap