Reasons not to buy a DSR200?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Apart from the fact that it is “old” are there any other reasons why I should *not* buy a Sony DSR200 if it is going cheap and is in good working order?

I read a review about it from 1997 that was full of praise for the camera, but I am mindful of the fact that what was thrilling in 1997 might be a lot less thrilling 14 years later.

Participant

It might have been a good camera in 1997, but it probably wouldn’t hold up to today’s standards. I don’t know much about the camera, so take this with a grain of salt. If it’s anything like the Canon XL1 (which was roughly the same time), it’s still a good camera, but you would be lacking the resolution, features, and options that you can get nowadays.

Participant

I think it all depends on what you want to do with the camera, or maybe I should say what you want the camera to do. I was using an old Sony M3 3 tube camera when everyone else had long since switched to 3 CCD. But the camera did what I needed it to do, my clients were happy and my start up costs were much lower because I bought an “obsolete” camera.

But then, all I needed was a good clean warm look to my videos, and did almost no location shoots. The old M3 worked just fine for that.

My thinking is that the abilities of the person often outweigh the abilities of the equipment. Good planning, proper lighting, the use of filters, and so on all add up to the look and feel of a video.

If however you want your videos to look like the current crop of productions, then you would need to step it up to much newer HD camera.

I know of a few folks still using Canon XL-1 and XL-2 cameras and they are still making money from them. Bottom line is that you need the tools to accomplish the task, just be realistic in exactly what the task requires.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap