Real Estate Videos

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello,

Has anyone made real estate videos, like a video tour? I was wondering what type of equipment one would need and what the production would be like to make one?

Thank you,

Pamela

Participant

Hi Pamela

Yes, my girl freind and I have made a few real estate video. If you would like to see them you can visit http://www.highdeserthomtours.com. Their is not really any special equipment needed, here is what I started with:

• Camera
      • Tripod
      • Lights
      • Mic(Condensor and hands free)
      • Pinncale ultimate editing software.

Are you trying to start a business? Well if you have any further question, you can e-mail me at afab_production@hotmail.com

I hope this helped

Keep Shooting [:->)

Don

Participant

Thank you for the quick responses, Don and Julie! Don, yes, I’m actually in the planning stages of a business. This is good info. and along the lines of what I was thinking. I will check into the links.

Thanks again,

Pamela

Inactive

Hi Pamela,

I am evaluating a business idea in this field as well. How did you start towards this idea?
      Did you take any photography/videography classes prior?
      I really like this idea and am really curious, but never took any formal training in this field.
      Any info would be helpful.

Peter

My experience is that real estate video production for realtors is a tough nut to crack, and likely hasn’t improved with the housing bust and recent prices (or not). The realtors I came across had NO realistic perception, or seemed to not WANT to accept the real costs for quality productions, and I could not get what I needed to do the jobs regardless of HOW MUCH I pared it down.

It takes more than minimum effort to do a quality production, and THAT is what realtors want IMHO, but are NOT willing to pay realistic prices for. Time being money, and it taking too much of that commodity to get the work, do the job and then to have to really struggle to collect my checks … I simply gave up on this video industry.

That’s not to say some haven’t been successful, and for those who develop the right connections and come up with a production plan that yields high quality video presentation for minimum hourly input and editing, or perhaps even web-based video delivery, I’m glad somebody has figured out how to make it work. Too much work for me though, so I’ll have to pass.

One last comment: However, like ANY program or business plan, it ONLY works if the person going after it works. GREAT ideas won’t work unless you do.

Participant

Summerose, Peter,I hope that you are successful in a video business-Real Estate. I hope that you consider EarlC’s comments, he shares a lot of good information on this blog. I recommend that you check out his blog:

eccomeecgo.blogspot.com

There is a series of articles entitled “A Roadmap for Beginners”. These articles are about starting a businessfrom the perspective of videomakers. If you check out the archived articles, I think that you will find some valuable info, and not just for beginners.

Good Shooting.

Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m not actually planning a video real estate business, but as an Independent Video Services Provider. I thought this might be one area to work. I suspected there would be a lot of competition and it would be demanding, as what I’ve read has said as much. So, I’m glad to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Peter, as for training, I went to broadcasting school several years ago (Specs Howard School of Media Arts – was Broadcast Arts then – in Southfield, MI.) during my time in college and worked mostly full-time in that for 6 years. It has been 8 years since I’ve worked in that field, but am gearing up to go back since I am ready to work independently now. There are less production houses in the Detroit area with FT staff. So, I worked in fund-raising for a while and learned heavy sales, along with writing and following a business plan. I was successful in that and became confident that I could successfully work in video again, now that I know how to obtain business and am in a good position to work independently.

Pamela

Inactive

Thanks for the words of wisdom EarlC and Vid-e-o-man. Just like Pamela, real estate video was going to be one of the services to offer, but it seemed to me as a low hanging fruit to capitalize on at the early stages.

I am in the middle of a career change (10 year IT career had no soul) and interest in photography and videography seemed to naturally grab my attention. So, I am definitely going to check out the blog articles, check out all tutorials, and want to jump right in, thanks again.

Pamela, I too live in metro Detoit and know of Specs Howard School. From reading other blogs and forums, to the contrary, I am hearing that there isn’t too many videographers doing real estate video. Probably for EarlC’s reasons, but as part of my business eval and business plan writing, I am going to research it 100% to know for sure if that is worthwhile. If it turns out to be feasible, combined with right internet marketing strategy, creativity and passion, this might be the way to go. With or without real estate video, see you on the trails…

As for the big picture I am really excited to start in this direction. This field seems to have so much gratitude to offer and I just scratched the surface. I think I am finally home.

Thank you all again for the valuable input and words of wisdom. Peter

On the other hand, many of the news magazines and serious publications have had articles regarding the rebuilding, if you will, of the Detroit area after the decline of the auto industry influence there literally decimated the real estate values. There have been articles about rebuilding efforts by city leaders and influenced by investors and others. This area COULD be a rich resource for real estate based video services providers who not only can shoot and edit, but also know how to distribute on the Internet as well as hardcopy. So, Peter, continue with your 100 percent evaluation, it might prove valid for the Detroit area, and other areas in the country facing a new effort to rebuild on abandoned or open properties commercial or residential.

Participant

Summerrose, Peter, I wish both of you all the success in the world or should I say in Detroit. I hope that as you find success in this part of videomaking you might return to this forum and share with us. Being succesful at something you enjoy doing is great and if it helps revive your community as well, even better.

Inactive

Earl hit the nail on the head – real estate video tours isan uphill sell. So are Legal videos. It all boils down to having an an ‘in’ with someone, to get started.

Like Peter, I am trying to make a career change. I’ve been a self employed home improvement contractor for 28 years and in the trade of over 35 years. I went back to night school in 2000 for a year and studied Visual Communications, primarily for web. Then the towers came down 1 month before I was to graduate and it seems the whole industry went with the towers, so I went back to swinging a hammer. For the last 2 years I have been heavily researching and studying videography, imersing myself in all of the possibilities and requirments. I have also studied a lot of related tutorials. My home improvement business lost over 70% of business 2 years ago and that hasn’t changed so I have been trying very hard to find a start in video.

I’ve done amature video for 30 plus years and have had Pinnacle Studio since version 8, with version 14 as my current. However I have recently looked to advance my skill set and started using Sony Vegas and Adobe affter effects about 6 months ago. The software we have available to us today does amazing things, I enjoy experimenting and learning new things. These days I’m thinking of trying to get into internet video marketing, possibly for small and medium sized businesses.

Getting back to Real Estate Video, Fred Light is pretty much known as the pioneer of the concept. His website has a wealth of information, but I get the feeling he is one of only a few who have been successful in this field. The article he wrote for Video Univerity is what inspired me. I found a previous article in V.U on doing video depositions sounded great at first but like I am finding out now with the Video tour idea – a very hard thing to get started in.

In my area (L.I.) most main name real estates are owned by a central owner/broker. They dictate how the advertising will be done and some even split the cost with their agents. There is one company here that *seems* to have many of the real estates locked in, with a contract to provide pictures & a floor plan for them (12pics for $60), which are then provided to a webmaster to create a boilerplate slide show, sometimes with a soundtrack but not always. You can’t provide a video at that price. This company also does videos at a higher cost (I could definitely compete against them on their price for videos) but the Real Estate companies have elected to continue doing what they are doing because of cost and they figure this has been working for them, why spend(waste) extra money on video.

The way the housing industry is going, probaly not a good time to be trying to sell the idea of video tours. Your best bet is to target independant Real Estate Agentswho work for a small broker or themselves.

Research online as much as you can, there is an abudance of information on the topic of videorgaphy. Also keep in the back of your mind, while it may appear as if their are many open opprtunities, the reality is that a lot of people are trying to get into video today because of all the new technology makes it possible. The trick is to find a ‘niche’ that isn’t saturated and is something you’ll enjoy doing. You may also want to explore Craigslist and Elance.

As Earl had mentioned – you have to be persistant in what ever it is you go after, it won’t be easy and it’s easy to get discouraged. Don’t set expectations too high, After you giveyour potential nichea reasonable chance to work and if it doesn’t,move on to another option. What works for someone in their location may not work were you are. You could be too far ahead of the curve.

It’s easy to get overwhelmed by it all – I’ve had my moments. Pick a level you can work with and try to keep focused within your ability. Wanting to learn it all, quickly, is when i get myself into trouble. The mind can only absorb so much. It’s all good.

Jusy my experience & My 2 cents,

Rich

Informative reply, Rich, enjoyed reading every word. Have you ever considered adding funeral and memorial production or Video StoryTellers! to your business plan?

Participant

dirtylenz, thanks for sharing your.02. I, too, am hoping tochange into video from another career. Iam very apreciative ofall the information and experience that is shared on this site. As the technology is changing so rapidly it is difficult to keep up with but as many of the more experienced posters continue to say it is the skill of the shooter that is the most important piece of equipment. I read these forms as a source for all that I can glean to help improve that piece of equipment so that as shoot for pay I can do justice to the industry exemplified by these experienced posters.

Inactive

Earl,

Thank you. No…actually I hadn’t thought of either one of those. I don’t think I’d be comfortable shooting a funeral or anything related to it, just been through enough personal tragedies. VST is an interesting concept, I just wonder what the market would be and if there’s any money in it. Right now everyone, atleast in my locale, seems to be ever so skepticle with anything you present to them that requires spending money. The economy goes south and the scams run rampant. Try to sell ’em something and they act as if you’re pointing a gun at them.

I’m still learning all of the features & functions of my AvCAM HMC40, I have a ways to go until I know it inside & out. Want to get to the point where it’s all automatic (in my head). It was a replacement for my Sony SD Handicam which took great pictures, still have it as a backup, even though its 11 years old. As Vid-e-o-man said -trying to keep up with it all is a chore in itself, new stuff coming out almost as fast and often as Apple. It does get overwhelming at times worrying about having the ‘right’ equipment. The only thing I haven’t invested in yet is lighting. I improvise with a dual head halogen work light and for softer lighting I put a sheet up 5 feet in front of it using Zipwall poles.

I throughly researched my purchase (so many freakin cameras! )before I felt the HMC40 was going to give me the best results and be the most versatile for the money I could afford. EDUIS was included but I haven’t tried using it – how many editors do you need to learn?, again, easy to get overwhelmed which one to chose. It just seems the more you try to stay up with current trends, the more overwhelmed you can get and then you’re like a deer in the headlight for a few days.

Recently I shot a friends band playing at a club, as my first ‘unpaid’ professional gig. I saw it as an opportunity to find my weaknesses. I had already been aware of the limited low light ability of my camera, which was really evident in the post production. Found out the limits under the circumstance, not to mention being crammed off into a corner with a tripod in front of one of the tower speakers (thank god I had my headphones on), people constantly tripping on the one tripod leg, then it got scarey when the fighting broke out, I was worried about my brand new camera, not my bodily harm, even with 3 cracked ribs at the time! Had I been thinking better – I should have pivoted the camera 180 degrees to get the fight – now that would have been a cool shot!

Lesson learned : better lighting, don’t shoot events from tripod, make arrangements prior. Video tends to get ‘boring’ when the camera isn’t moving around. Unfortunately, it was the only shooting option available due to overcrowding at the event. The option of shooting video was offered to me by the band, so no real arrangements were made prior. Interesting experience. They were invited to come back & play in April. I told him I was going to pass. he said in 10 years of playing , they’ve never seen a fight break out. Wow – just my luck & I missed the shot!

Rich

Participant

I noticed that there are 2 Real Estate threads going here…. this one (Real Estate Videos) and a second thread, Real Estate Videos Revisited (which I posted on). I’ve read good things on both threads.

Sorry about the blank “posts”……. seems there is a 2-step process to actually post anything (and of course, the instructions are less than intuitive).

Not a problem, I deleted the “blanks” and combined your two successful posts. Glad you were able to figure it out.

Earl

Participant

I think, like weddings and such, real estate video is a great way to leaqrn ort hone a craft. Outside of that though, I can’t think of any pros to em. They simply don’t pay enough to make em worth anyone’s time… other than the agent who could easily just grab a camera and shoot the property.

Participant

Remember a slide show is not a real full motion video.
      The real estate buyer often needs to know about the area, your community events first before they decide to invest in yur zip code. Start with those local videos that show the flavor, spark of why you live there. It is not just houses, the sticks and bricks they want, need. Do lots of videos, not just your most expensive listings. Go easy on the broker, agent pieces…the buyer’s time is important. Save him gas, time.
      Get a video camera, that fits in your hand in the budget you can afford for starters.
      I like Sony. I like Sony Vegas for editing. Eventually you’ll be using jib cranes, slides and green screens to increase the effectiveness of your video presentations. Have close to 500 and they work to engage, connect, deliver. http://www.youtube.com/mooersrealty Audio is 40% of the video experience.

Inactive

The reality of real estate videos in my market area is that realtors average 4 sales a year right now and the average home price is $250k. If the sale is co-brokered with a 6% commission, the realtor will make $15k a year. Realtors would rather take pictures with their phones and make a slide show with iPhoto.

Spend a few days talking with realtors in your area. They’ll let you know if they’re interested.

SpectateSwampSpectateSwamp
      Participant

Videos for Real Estate window display.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzULqlf8598

Large font detailing the video, then the video segment.

Then another random grouping of text, video and pics.

Pictures covering the windows just isn't as good. This is so simple.

Participant

We recently sold a duplex.  When selling a rental property you want to minimize disturbance for your tenants, yet you want potential buyers to be able to see the property.

Our solution was a good video.

Perspective buyers were asked to view the video to see the property.  We didn't ask our tenants to open up their homes for a perspective buyer until the buyer had put down a deposit.

This worked well for us.

The message is that perhaps rental properties are good targets for video tours.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap