re: which camcorder to buy AND anyone considering Canon mode

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Other Camcorders re: which camcorder to buy AND anyone considering Canon mode

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I see so many people asking the same question on this and many other forums: which camcorder should I buy (or should I buy model xxx or model yyy). That is a difficult question to answer in such a general sense and is sure to have some personal bias involved. However, one thing that can be said with certainty is: do your research on the internet and forums like these BEFORE you buy. While the features of cameras have been getting generally better, the quality of the cameras has surely declined. Some manufacturers in particular have had an abnormally high rate of failures due to design flaws which can easily be researched in forums. One, (JVC) is currently in a class-action suit on the East Coast. Another is Canon whose cameras suffer a high rate of defects across all product lines (with the possible exception of the XL series). If you are even considering a Canon camcorder, do yourself a favor and do a google search under “Canon remove cassette” and be prepared to read some depressing stories. This issue affects Eluras, Opturas, ZR’s and even the pricey GL series cameras and renders the camera all but useless. Even when Canon agrees to repair it, the camera fails again with only a small number of hours of use. Typically, Canon tries to blame the customer for the problem and stubbornly denies any existence of a problem. But the sheer number of owners reporting this just demonstrates the reality of the situation. I have had 2 Elura 2MC’s both develop the symptom and I have started a website to compile a list of affected owners who are upset enough to pursue a class-action suit. The Gl-2 is a very good camera based on features; I have used one as a rental and liked it a lot. But there’s way too many failures for a camera with this price tag. Review sites and magazines like VideoMaker do a decent job reporting on the new models being released (new features, prices, ease of use etc) but none of them ever report a word on reliability or durability so don’t just rely on their reviews unless you have this kind of money to burn. My web site, in case you’re interested, is:

http://mysite.verizon.net/resohb20

My personal recommendation is to stay away from Canon altogether until they design a better tape transport system AND learn to treat their customers better. All manufacturers will have defects; how will they deal with them and you is the question. From what I have read , and it’s been a lot, the companies who seem to have the lower rate of problems and also don’t deny any issues are Sony, and Panasonic. Other companies, like Hitachi, Sharp, and lesser known brands generally sell basic or entry level units and are generally less in demand by readers of these forums.

Participant

Well said. I bought an elura 40MC a few years ago. I just recently heard about the eject cassette problem and thought “Whew, glad it hasn’t happened to me”. Well, you guessed it — a couple of days ago, I started getting the same problem.

I was looking for a prosumer camcorder and my first choice was the GL2 before I did the research. Thank God I found out before I purchased!

Great site!

Participant

For some reason My browser doesn’t support me being to post my own topic so I apoligize for hi-jacking your thread. I KNOW you get this question alot, but I’m looking to buy a camcorder to shoot mini movies of skateboarding, mx, etc. I know absolutely nothing about cams or editing so I’ll have to learn. I was hoping for any reccomendations for a cam around 1500? Figuring it would be used for wierd shots I would like a cam that I could swap lenses, like fish eye, wide etc. If there is no camera around that price Please give me a list of cams close to that range, maybe the 2 g range. What I really want is a high quality or my hd picture? I’m a total goon so any help would be appreciated,
      thanks in advance,
      nik

Participant

tpainter Wrote:

Well said. I bought an elura 40MC a few years ago. I just recently heard about the eject cassette problem and thought “Whew, glad it hasn’t happened to me”. Well, you guessed it — a couple of days ago, I started getting the same problem.

I was looking for a prosumer camcorder and my first choice was the GL2 before I did the research. Thank God I found out before I purchased!

Great site!

can yall describe this eject cassette problem???

I was SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING a GL2!!!

Participant

did a lil more research and realized i either want a hd or 24p cam, so ill just have to save up some more. For action im guessing 24p is better?

Participant

I realized i want a PANASONIC AG-DVC30

Participant

mpr Wrote:

I realized i want a PANASONIC AG-DVC30

Good choice! That’s the one I ended up with too.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses — 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap