R U Making Minimum Wage?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Minimum wage laws got their start in the 1890’s in Australia & New Zealand. Here, Massachusetts started things rolling in 1912. The U.S. jumped in with a whopping 25-cents-an-hour bottom wage in 1938, along with a 44-hour work week maximum.

Some states have a higher minimum wage (Washington, $8.55) than the now current (July 24) federal minimum wage of $7.25 – the third and last boost since 2007 from $5.15.

Anybody in the video production business REALLY making more than the new current Fed Min Wage – after taking in the bounty of REAL costs involved in our business and the exorbitant number of hours we usually put in on any given production?

Participant

It amazes me what minimum wage is now. I started like everyone else… working for free. My first paying job was at the local ABC affilate running camera for the 5, 6 and 10 oclock news for $3.35 an hour. I had to work 2 or 3 jobs for almost the first 10 years of my career. As my wife and I made another addition to the family, I’d have to move our family to a different market, getting hired on at a different lavel as no company offers 5 figure raises, and that’s what is required with a new bambino. I moved my family to five states in as many years at one point, just salary-climbin’ and dream chasin’. It’s what was required.
      My last salary position paid $80k/yr with full benefits and now I’m self-employed at $150/hour. Nobody get’s into this business for the money. We do it because this industry chose us, not the other way around. Truth is, I could do nothing else.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap