Quick question

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

hey,

If I purchased a HD cam. do I need an HD editing software to edit it? I know I would need it to generate HD picture, but just generally speaking, can I edit HD in, lets say, Adobe premiere 1.5?

thanks.

Inactive

You’ll have to check with your software vendor or manual. Most of the higher end DV editing programs (like Premiere Pro) have plug-ins that you just have to add. Some don’t and would require a major upgrade.

That will be the least of your worries. The real problem will be if you have enough horsepower under the hood on your existing PC??

HD is WAY harder on your system’s resources than normal DV. If you have a monster PC then you’ll be OK.

RAM

Inactive

what would be considered a monster computer?

Inactive

IMO… I would think a twin XENON or a fast AMD 2-core chip, 800 FSB, 2 GB ram and a large RAID-0 disk array for starts. That would keep you flying like an eagle.

Don’t get me wrong you could probably get by with less but you’ll be pulling your hair out waiting and you would get very frustrated. I’m 99% sure however that you do need a fast RAID-0 disk configuration to capture HD footage correctly. There is a lot more data streaming in twice as fast with HD compared to DV.

RAM

Inactive

I think i will stick to the dv until i know a little more about what is needed w/ hd. i know i’m going to have to go there soon or later.

Participant

There is a lot more data streaming in twice as fast with HD compared to DV.

Actually, I think it’s like 3-5 times more (if I’m not mistaken).

Inactive

Endeavor Wrote:

There is a lot more data streaming in twice as fast with HD compared to DV.

Actually, I think it’s like 3-5 times more (if I’m not mistaken).

I think your’e right! I was just trying to make a point.

All I know is that my computing hardware is one of the reasons why I haven’t gone HD yet. Shoot, first you buy a HD camera for $3000.00 or $5000.00 and then you have to turn around and invest in all new computer hardware. It’s like you’re starting all over! I suppose one of these days I’ll switch. Probably after I finish paying off the bill from what I have now! X-D

RAM

Participant

By then, HD will be much less expensive to switch to.

Inactive

It’s like you’re starting all over! I suppose one of these days I’ll switch. Probably after I finish paying off the bill from what I have now!

It took me the longest time to get where I am now. Starting over is not an option right now. But one day! I will have made enough income to indulge in hd and who knows what ever else after that.

Inactive

BUEYEHL: I’m right there with you!

You guys, at least when it gets to that point we’ll have all of the shooting, lighting, audio, editing and authoring techniques down to a science. Switching to a bigger, badder and wider camera will be nothing but a thing!

Its like learning how to drive a car for the first time in a Chevy Vega. Once you get that all down and you saved all your money, youre ready for the Escalade!

My only problem is that Im impatient! X-D

RAM

• Viewing 9 reply threads

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
    homicide-bootstrap