Quick Newbie Questions

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Great forum everyone! There’s a TON of knowledge here. Nice job.

I looked briefly but did not find a topic here for me, the newbie. Please post a link if my questions are already answered somewhere else.

I’d like tobuild an amateur production studio. Projects will be sport videos,30 secondads for my employer, skits, and family video. Distribution will beHD-DVDs with menus, and clips for the web. I’d like to have a lot of tools for effects, titles, and DVD authoring.

I know this is ambitious, especially for someone who has only used SD videowith MicrosoftMovie Maker. I need an education.

So… considering mygoals,please shoot down this plan:

I got a screaming deal on a Sony HDR-HC5: $467 (demo model w/ warranty).The major drawbacks to the HC5 are, 1.) no 24p, and b.) nomic input. I know the HC5 isa “point & shoot” consumer camera, but willit limit me now, while I’m just getting my feet wet? Is there something very lacking about it’s manual capabilities? Should I return it?

I intend to get a Marantz PMD660 for audio. Will this do for a while? (I’d like toavoid a product that I will outgrow quickly)

I have NO idea what software to learn for post-production. Ideally I would like something affordable that has professional upgrade potential, instead of something that is easy to use but has limited capability.

I’d like to limit my initial investment to $2000 including lights, mics, lenses and duct tape.

Thanks in advance!

_Sherman

P.S. I have a Gateway PC, Windows XP, Dual-Core, 1GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive.

Participant

“Distribution will beHD-DVDs with menus, and clips for the web.”

Ya know…the standard is going to be Blu-Ray, not HD-DVD.

It’s not a big deal if your camera doesn’t shoot 24p. You said you’re going to be shooting sports anyway. You’re going to want faster frame rates while recording. Ideally 60p.

I don’t know what the hype about 24p is. It seems like people think once they shoot in 24p their video is going to look like film, when in reality, you have to light like film, execute camera movements like film, shoot with the shallower DOF of film, and more to get your video to resemble film. I personally think if you do all that and shoot 60i, you’ll have better results than simply shooting 24p. So don’t sweat it if your camera doesn’t shoot 24p.

Look into the BeachTek XLR adapter if you are going to need mic inputs. This device will be useless if your camera doesn’t even have the 1/8 inch mic input.

“Is there something very lacking about it’s manual capabilities? Should I return it?”

I think as a minimum you want manual focus, iris, shutter speed, white balance and audio levels. I suppose gain too, but you want to keep gain to a minimum since it causes grain in your video.

“I have NO idea what software to learn for post-production. Ideally I would like something affordable that has professional upgrade potential, instead of something that is easy to use but has limited capability.”

I suggest Final Cut Express. But you need a Mac for that. I guess Vegas seems to be popular among PC users

Inactive

Thanks! I just found the “learning” section. I’m reading and I’ll come up with more intelligent questions soon.

Participant

As robgrauert mentioned, HD-DVDs aren’t gonna do you any good at all.

If you bought a camera, use it until you figure out what you need. The manual functions robgrauert mentioned are a good start.

It’s lucky for you that you have Windows XP. I love it for video editing. Sony Vegas is a good software.

In your “learning” reading, take a look at our post “Here Be Answers about Cameras, Editing software etc.”

welcome to the forums!

Inactive

I wish I had seen this post sooner! Thanks!

Inactive

Thanks! I just found the “learning” section. I’m reading and I’ll come up with more intelligent questions soon.

Welcome aboard. As othehave said, you’re going to want to be sure that you’re sticking with Blu-Ray rather than HD-DVD

Inactive

Thanks for the dvd link above!

Okay, I finished the major cash purchases and so far I’m very, VERY happy with my choices;

Camera: Sony HDR-HC5 $496.00 (Best Buy – demo model)

Sound: Samson Zoom H4 $268.00 (Amazon)

Editing: Adobe Premiere Elements $99.00 (online)

Sooo… the grand total for my new Hi-Def amateur videoproductionstudio is $863.00

I’m stoked because my budget still allows for some quality lights, mics, lenses, and duct tape. The only obstacle I see to creating professional-looking projects isskill and talent! Too bad I can’t just buy those too.

Thanks for you’re input everyone. Hopefully,I’ll be posting my crap soon.

-Sherman

Participant

What do you plantousetheducttape for?Ifit’s fortapingdowncables and wires,atipistouse thebluepainter’stapeinstead.Itdoesn’tleaveresiduelike ducttapecan.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Camera Support Buyer's Guide

The best advanced camera support for video — 2020

While the camera will always be at the core of your production setup, using the best camera support is vital in getting smooth cinematic shots.
homicide-bootstrap