Question on Analog/Digital Video Conversion

• This topic has 15 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 15 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi, sort of new at this and need some advice, before I put my foot in my mouth and to top it all spend some cash for nothing.

Currently have about 30 VHS-C tapes of my family from about 1986-2001, and have about 10 HI8 tapes and now, finally bought a D/V camcorder. Computer has firewire.

Have used Pinnacle Studio 9 for a while and have been converting the VHS-C tapes with a Dazzle bridge and not really satisfied with the outcome.

My question is that I am considiring to get either Adobe premiere element 2 and/or Sony Pictures Vegas Movie Studio + DVD 6, for my current Digital camera A Sony.

This leads me to the old tapes VHS-C and the HI-8 and have searched around for a more current Analog/Digital converter and the only ones that seems to do the Job as far as I know is the Pyro A/V Link basic 550 or the Canopus ADVC300.

Which of these two would convert a better home movie on my old tapes?

Is the Pyro evaluated a 5 out of 10? and the Canapous 8 out of 10. I am assuming this due to the price range, or are both equal when it comes to converting??

Hoping that someone with eperience on either Converter or Software, will come up to the plate.

Sorry that the post is a little long but how else an I get my questions across.

Thanks in advance

[/b]

Participant

Ralph,

You may not need any additional hardware – check to see if your camera has an input where you can connect your vcr to the camera – this will provide a pass-through so you can capture via firewire. Post your camera model and I am sure it can be figured out.

Inactive

Hi tpainter,

My cameras are as follows: Quasar VHS, model VM-51, Sharp HI8 model Vl-AH50U and Sony Handycam model DCR-HC40.

If I could connect my non Digital cameras to a vcr, how can I connect the vcr to my computer through the antenna out on the back of VCR???

Hope this helps, say any suggestions would be appreciated.

Participant

Ralph,
      I did a quick search on Sony’s site for your camcorder model and according to the documentation, you should be able to connect a vcr or to the AV jack on your camera.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DCRHC40.pdf is what I was looking at on page 92 (Connecting to a VCR or TV). The camera probably came with a special cable to connect the camcorder to a VCR (You would use either the output jacks or s-video out of your VCR) Connect that with your firewire to the computer (sony calls it iLink).

Hope this helps.

Inactive

tpainter

I am aware that my Sony is able to get right into my CPU firewire, the problem arises with my analog camcorders, that is the reason of the search for a analog to digital converter bridge or whatever.

Somehow I must had mislead you on my first posting or I did not explain myself well enough.

Any suggestions from anywhere would be appreciated.

Inactive

I got the picture, but my analog cam are unable to connect to the Sony. and Pinnacle D10 is an option. The other question is if the D10 or any other analog to digital conversion box can upgrade the quality of the tapes as some like the canopus ADVC300 claims, or is it a ploy.

Thanks for the quick replies and best of all on trying to save or not to waste my money for nothing.

Inactive

A good hardware converter (instead of that Dazzle crap) is the answer to your problems, not switching from Studio to some more expensive NLE. The Canopus ADVC seems OK or, if you can’t afford it, try to find a DC10 (miro) card.

Participant

Hank is correct – your camera should be able to act as your analog to digital bridge/converter. The manual for your camera shows how to do this – your camera probably has a special cable to do this.

Inactive

I could be wrong but I think the problem that zapper is talking about could be that of interfacing the two cameras. Hopefully, both cameras came with some kind of AV patch cord (mini pin / red-white-yellow RCA plugs) that enables then to hook up the cameras to a TV. All you need to do is get (3) female to female RCA adapters from Radio Shack and you should be able to plug the two cameras together. Then the old camera becomes a glorified VCR.

RAM

Participant

zapper Wrote:

I got the picture, but my analog cam are unable to connect to the Sony. and Pinnacle D10 is an option.

I have had experience using that sony camera and Yes, you’re analog camera’s CAN be connected to it, and use it as the digital converter. Just about ALL newer digital cameras have this capability. If not on the fly then you can do it by hooking up your analog camera to the digital, recording on the digital and playing on the analog, then capture it to your PC, this is a little more time consuming than straight through but works just as well. It’s in your manual about how to hook other video sources to your camera, you can use VCR’s, High 8, VHS-C, etc. It might take you a little time to figure it out but trust me it can be done.

Inactive

tpainter and the other replies are right, I can connect from my vcr to my digital cam, first had to buy a new VHS-C cartridge adapter to input my VHS tapes that was easy went to the closest rat shack and Bingo, bought it, my previous cartride inserter was starting to eat the tapes.

Now have the vcr hooked up to my Digital cam and the cam hooked up to the firewire on my computer and trying to get the film to pass through to the computer with out taping it into my Cam. So far unable to get the combo set up correctly to be able to get the film captured on my computer software.

More help needed for this aging idiot. :'(

Inactive

Say Comp, I thought that the Cam was used as a passthrough not as a recorder???

Inactive

Well that is an option that I have, doesn’t the recording tape after time looses its capturing abilities to some degree?

Inactive

Well Finally able to capture through the vcr, Horray :).

Thanks for your responses and help

Inactive

To keep it simple, you may consider simply outsourcing the work to a reputable company. A company like Memory Keepers (www.MemoryKeepersOnline.com) can convert any tape (VHS, Beta, and any size camcorder tape) to a DVD. You don’t need to worry about software, hardware or spending hours in front of your computer. In addition, they do a great job with packaging your final product.

Inactive

By the way…the Canopus products are outstanding. I’ve used the ADVC100 (now it’s the ADVC110 model) and I’ve had great success with it. All my analog material that I capture with the Canopus looks exactly the same as the source. I spent about $250 on the ADVC100/110 and would highly recommend it as a good solution for analog

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap