Question about XLR Adapters

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I can’t finda beachtek adapter specifically designedfor my camcorder like I canfor different models -can Ijust use any xlr beachtek adapterI find and it will work with my camcorder? from what i read, it seems that some are designed “to fit neatly underneath” a specific camcorder, and that seems to be one of the only differences,…what happens if I get one that doesn’t fit neatly underneath my model…will it still work, or will it be an issue that it doesn’t fit neatly? This may be a very silly question – I’ve never used the xlr adapters before nor have I seen them in action.

Participant

Yes, the BeachTek adapters allow you to use mics that have an XLR connection with your camera that only has a 1/8′ connection. These kinds of adapters all work the same. So you should be good to go, even if it doesn’t PERFECTLY fit nicely under your camera.

Participant

Not sure if this is the one you’re looking at, but this one is supposed to be universal:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/136400-REG/Beachtek_DXA_4P_DXA_4P_Audio_Adapter_for.html

Inactive

ah, thank you!! i almost got one on ebay that had RCA connections instead of the 1/8′ connection, but wasnt sure whether or not adding an RCA-to-mini jack converter would have messed up sound quality so I passed on it – it’s passed now, but do you know if one like that would have worked?

Participant

In theory XLR to RCA to 1/8″ should work, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Participant

Just remember that at this stage, the audio is analog and each connection (like RCA to 1/8″) will degrade the signal. I would go with the one that Rob suggested.

Inactive

great, all good to know – thanks to you both.

Inactive

i’ve actually been looking to pick one of these up.. Does anyone know if it has a spot for the tripod plate on the bottom? i would assume it would, but just didnt see anything about it..

Yes, the BeachTek and most similar adaptors are equipped to be tripod mounted. Some units also offer a box-like sleeve that is mounted to the tripod plate, then the adaptor is placed inside – OK, I suppose, if you’re doing a lockdown shot and not needing to relocate or move.

The BeachTek DXA-2T, for example, has a tripod socket. While I’ve not researched all the models, I would suspect they have tripod sockets as well.

And, while BeachTek is an established brand and product, there ARE others, such as JuicedLink and a host of mocdels from Studio 1 Productions.

Inactive

awesome, thanks for the info EarlC! I hope to pick one up to use with my canon hv40..

The Canon HV40 is one sweet little worker. I know a number of folks who are very successful in business and event video production who use this tape-based baby. I read recently where someone also utilized an external card reader/recorder and rigged up a way to shoot from the 40 to SDHC – dunno if that is even possible, but someone somewhere said so. If so, that would eliminate worries about diminishing MiniDV tape availability.

Inactive

yeah so far i like the HV40, i’ve only used to film a few small stuff, but hopefully once i get a nice tripod, i can start some more in depth projects. As for the 40 to SDHC, that would be amazing. Ill have to search around for info on that.

Participant

I need help. I have a signpost xlr adapter that I am using in conjunction with a GL2 and Audiotechnica 8035 mic. Can someone please give me step by step instructions on the best way to set this up?

Much Appreciated

Participant

Not familiar with Signpost XLR adapter. Is it like Beachtek? XLR adapters come in 2 flavors: those with phantom power, and those without. Your mic requires power; can use phantom power, or internal battery, but you’ll get almost nothing without one or the other. If XLR adapter has 48v phantom power, turn it on, plug mic in; screw adapter into tripod mount under camera, plug in 1/8″ output from adapter into camera mic input, and you are good to go. If your adapter does not have phantom power, then either use a dynamic mic, or with the 8035, put a battery in and turn on the power (read the mic manual). Set your levels on the adapter and on the camera. Note: if the Signpost you have is simply a cable converting XLR to 1/8″ plug, turn the battery on at the mic and it should work. Or, get a dynamic mic and those should all work, butneither as good as an adapter than matches impedance, sets levels, etc.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best cameras for YouTube — 2021

So you’re all set to start your new YouTube channel where you’ll show how you create wigs for dogs with bald spots. Great! But before you get started, you’ll need a camera. We’re here to help you wade through the...
homicide-bootstrap